Safe Temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
Now that I've got my system (somewhat) stable, its time to overclock! What are safe temperatures for my CPU and video card (see sig for details), and how much should I be looking to overclock? Currently, my CPU is running 30 C at rest, 48 under load, but its really hot out today. I also have another case fan, and I'm going to buy a 3-pin splitter tomorrow so I can plug it in.

Thanks.

I also had another question I forgot to ask, and I figured I shouldn't make a new thread about it. Both my CPU fan and my case fan are running about 2500-3000 RPM, and my motherboard monitoring program is telling me this isn't good. How do I increase it? I would figure it had something to do with my power supply, but its a pretty good one. It's got 400W, and the amps for the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V are 25, 28, and 30 respectively. What can I do to increase the RPM?

the max temperature for a P4 is about 55 degrees
if you want to overclock, I suggest getting a new fan like a Thermaltake because 48 is not far off the max temp

What is the type of CPU HSF you have? Is it the stock that came with your Proccessor?

And 3000 is way too low for a Fan, Even 4000 is below average.

Even AMD's which can stand more heat start to die slowly when in the 50's C.

If the CPU HSF is stock there are a lot of fans that can fit on those heatsinks. Just replace it with a fan thats atleast above 3500.

Also reseat and reapply your Thermal Compound, on AMD's clean up around the core and put a thin layer on core, if P4 clean up around the Proccessors heatsink and reapply a thick layer in middle.

And I don't see a need for a splitter, why not just power it using the Power Supply instead of the motherboard? There should be a converter to do that; Or atleast one that came with the case fan.

the RPM doesn't neccesarily determine the cooling efficiency
you can have 1 fan running at maybe 3,500 RPM that cools just as efficiently as another fan that runs at 4,500RPM

The HSF is the one that came with the processor. I think what I'll probably do is keep the slow case fans that I have right now, but buy a better CPU fan since that seems to be most important.

As far as the splitter, I need either a splitter or a converter. The two fans I bought were both 3-pin, and the motherboard only had sockets for one system fan and one CPU fan. So, either one would work.

Do I really need to apply thermal compound? I was going to, but when I opened up the Intel box I saw that the heatsink already had thermal tape on it, so I figured that was just as good.

Finally, my core is Northwood.

If u want to overclock, make sure not to put too high temperature cos easy to burn especially graphic card.
Your fan running at 2000rpm really very slow, perhap u can clean the dust bcos if the dust too thick it can affect the fan speed.
Although your cpu came with thermal tape, is better 4 u to get a good thermal gel.

If you really want to overclock your video card i would sujest the Giant III by thermaltake http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1919.htm
i know someone who uses this for overclocking his vid card and is extreamly happy with the results. I dont overclock but if i was going to i would probally use this for my vid card. I would also water cool my CPU if i wanted to overclock that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom