s/h hard drive shows as 7 small drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick19710_0

Solid State Member
i have just installed a second hand 15 gig hard drive but it is showing up as being 7, 1.99 gig drives is there any way to make it so it is just the one (just to avoid any confusion on my part!). any help on this will be gratefully received thanks.

What OS are you running this drive under?
The problem you got is that this drive was formated with an o,lder version of FAT32/16 and could only support 2Gb partitions. You need to clear the Partitions and then reformat the whole drive. Once you do that, then you will have 1 drive to contain your 15Gb...

i am using win 2000 pro and i know next to nothing about pc's if you could give me a quick lesson on how to re format i would be most gratefull. thanks heaps.

win2000 has computer management like winXP i think. try right clicking "my computer" and select manage. select storage> disk management. or try clicking start> run and type in diskmgmt.msc into the run box.

once in disk management delete all partitions in the 15GB drive. when all partitions deleted create a new primary partition allocating all space to it. the best method is creating a logical drive inside a extended partition. format the partition and you are set to go.

http://www.evozero.gamma.timdorr.com/computer-guides/basic_disks.htm

Never used Windows 2000, but if its anything like Windows XP you need to boot the computer up.....as it starts, hit the "delete" key and go into the BIOS.

Goto the section that shows the boot order. Change the boot order so that "CDROM" is first.

Make sure your Windows 2000 disk is in and then save and exit the BIOS. It will boot to the CD and start going through the setup proccess.

You want to install a fresh copy of Windows. It should take you to a screen that shows all of the partitions....(1.99 sections of the drive etc). Highlight each of them with the up and down arrow and then hit "D'.

It will goto another screen. Read all of them to make sure and you should have to hit "Enter". It will goto another and you should have to hit "L" to finalize the delete. It should go back to the section with all of the partitions. Keep deleting them all until you have just one unpartitioned section. Hit Enter from that screen...(That should go on to the Install Windows section)

It may ask you to select Fat32 or NTSF. NTSF is much better and I like installing using the slower...non-quick method. It should then install windows without a hitch....(crosses fingers........:)

If anyone else knows what Windows 2000 is like, please add.

Da-Rock,

This is a second drive, not the Boot drive. No need to go into the CD boot mode.

Ek/Esine explained all that is needed for this case.

As far as what you explained, Very good for a first install. As, it works the same in Win2k or XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom