Running Out Of Space! - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parky-RFC

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, brilliant forum you have here! I know you probably get alot of people who register just to ask a question and then they bugger off, well i dont intend on doing that! So please..help me here, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have got around 6GB worth of space left on my hard drive (which wont last long!) so im thinking of buying a new one and some advice would be very helpful.

What should i do? Should i go for an internal or an external hard drive?

Im willing to spend £100 ($195 USD).

Whats the best hard drive in the market today? (In that price range)

I know that certain hard drives wont be compatible for my computer so i'll post some details.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Disk Type : Hard Disk
Peripheral Type : ATA
Model : WDC WD800BB-75FRA0
Free Space : 8%

Drive Information

Volume Name : Unspecified
Serial Number : B00D-6E99
Files Name : 255
File Management : NTFS
Volume is Compressed : No
Case Sensitive Search : Yes
Preserves Filename Case : Yes
Unicode Filenames : Yes
Access Control List : Yes
Named Streams : Yes
Object Identifiers : Yes
Reparse Points : Yes
Sparse Files : Yes
User Disk Quotas : Yes
Individual File Compression : Yes
Encryption : No
Share : No

Logical Features

Sectors per Cluster : 8
Bytes per Sector : 512
Cluster size : 4 KB
Free Clusters : 1603219
Total Clusters : 19516966

Physical Features

Cylinders : 9726
Heads : 255
Sectors per Track : 63
Bytes per Sector : 512

Hope thats the correct information, if not just say and i'll sort it out.

Cheers!

Delete stuff you don't want.
Disk Clean up.
Defragment.
For files you dont use often but still want to keep you can use Winrar to compress them.

As for the harddrive, it may be easier to buy a internal drive and an external enclosure. If you like carrying your data Around that is.

Seagate 400 GB ATA

As for the enclosure just search around the site you want to order from.
Make sure its an enclosure for 3.5' Drives and that its internal connection is ATA.

Ste said:
Delete stuff you don't want.
Disk Clean up.
Defragment.
For files you dont use often but still want to keep you can use Winrar to compress them.

As for the harddrive, it may be easier to buy a internal drive and an external enclosure. If you like carrying your data Around that is.

Seagate 400 GB ATA

As for the enclosure just search around the site you want to order from.
Make sure its an enclosure for 3.5' Drives and that its internal connection is ATA.

Thanks for the reply! Im not very smart when it comes to computers so im slightly confused here.

When you say..it maybe better to buy an internal hard drive and an external closure does this mean it can be used as an external hard drive??

What im trying to say is..could i remove my current (almost full) 80GB hard drive, replace it with this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2273390&CatId=0 ,
create some space and use my 80GB one as an external hard drive by buying an external enclosure for it?

Sorry if i sound like a dafty but this is just not my subject. Help appreciated.

Ste said:
Yes.

Yes, but youd have to format and install the OS on the new Drive.

What is OS? And how would i go about doing it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

Operating System. Ya know, the thing you use all the time to do stuff.

You would need the OS Disc that came with the computer. And if you don't have one, gotta buy one. If you want to put the OS on the new Drive.

OS - Operating System! Lmao!!!

Doh!!!

I get you now, but that sounds like alot of hassle and complicated..well for me anyway!

I think i'll just buy that 400GB hard drive, an external enclosure and use it as an external hard drive. I take it you get the cables ect when you buy the external enclosure, it just plugs into your USB port right?

Then i will be able to transfer all my files over to the external hard drive so i have a back-up. :D

Iwhy not just buy and install another internal hard drive, it would save all the hassle, unless you want another so you can use it(or your old one) as a backup drive

jonny_uk said:
Iwhy not just buy and install another internal hard drive, it would save all the hassle, unless you want another so you can use it(or your old one) as a backup drive

Thats exactly it, im running out of space but i also want to back-up all my files because if i lose them now i will probaly burst into tears!

Im just not sure the best way to do it, i would like a good reliable hard drive with lots of storage and the link that 'Ste' supplied a few posts above looks good. :D

I would just get a Seagate Barracuda 10th gen and put it in an external enclosure.

Externals are the *********

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom