Running a Game Server? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Running a Game Server?

I'm interested in buying a server and using it as a print server, maybe file server, but mainly as a game server - but all in one. I'm new to servers and don't know where to start. I heard that servers don't really need a very fast processor to be good, is that true? What should I look for in a server in order to find one that would be able to do what I want? Course I would also like to minimize the purchase costs and energy costs. I presume most servers are designed to be very energy efficient, right? I don't have a very fast DSL connection right now, so I'd like to know how fast the connection should be to be able to support say, 20 players in an online game?

Thank you very much.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Running a Game Server?

My buddy just rents for 9.99 a month a server and he uses it for many things.

Have you considered this option?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

Servers can be pretty expensive if you want a higher end/low power consumption box. Alternativly you can build your own.

As for bandwidth usage, from experience of clients using servers for gaming [CS in particular]:

5-6 Kbs per player [Outgoing from server].

Stats for Incoming are higher but I forget tehm now. You are realistically looking at a min of 10GB/month per person, though [you want to get a 100Mbs busrtable connection if possible too].
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
My buddy just rents for 9.99 a month a server and he uses it for many things.

Have you considered this option?
Hmm, wow that's a very good deal cause I'm having a hard time finding a server rental service that has a lot of flexibility. Most game servers allow you to choose one game only, but I want to be able to switch things up if I need to, as well as use it for other things. Which service does your friend use? I might consider going this route then.
Closed Thread