Running Daul DDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The J

Solid State Member
So I got one stick of Kingston 256 DDR400, and I want to upgrade it. I know Dual DDR should run not depending on latencys or the producer of the chip, but does it run if I have 512 and 256mb?
It's just that I found a bargain for a Samsung DDR400 512 chip, and I'm willing to take the chance on the latency and manuafacturer if this clears up.
Thnks

that's interesting, so dave i would assume they also need to be the same memory speed (ie pc3200)? and do they need to be the same make and model? none of this is explained in any of the mobo manuals i have.

They need to be the same speed AND size. Also, some boards will have specific slot requirements for dual DDR operation (check manual).
Since memory quality and specs will differ from one manufacturer to the other or even within the same manufacturer so I would definitely go with the same make and model as well.

You can find more info on this link. P.S. You need Adobe Acrobat to read it.
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/Dual_DDR_SB.pdf

It is a technical explanation of Dual memory application in fairly good layman's term.

Although they mention that the memory can be of different speed, I wouldn't advise it as your FSB will revert to the lowest of the speed.

Most boards will identify Dual DDR slots with color or position.
2 memory brackets OF THE SAME SIZE will need to be installed in the same channel (i.e. both brackets in ch. A or in ch. B)

In all cases anyway, your manual should show you the breakdown of your memory slots.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom