Running 1080p on a 4K monitor?

Lucenzo

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on buying a 24inch 144 hrz monitor with a 4K resolution in the near future and I was wondering about something..

In windows, if I run a 1080 resolution on the 24 inch 4K monitor to avoid an ultra small layout, will there be some kind of detail or quality loss compared to running 1080 resolution on a 24 inch 1080p monitor?

Why buy 4K if you don't plan on using it you ask? Good question! I'll be using 4K mainly for gaming and I hear 4K gives an extremely small windows layout. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I want to know as much as possible about this whole 4K thing. :)

This leads me to my second question:

In games, if my GPU can't handle the 4K resolution, and I turn the resolution down to 1080 in-game, on the 24 inch 4K monitor, how would this "image quality" compare to the same game with a 1080 resolution on a 24 inch 1080p monitor?

All info or experiences are greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: How does a 1080 resolution on a 4K monitor compare to 1080 on a 1080p monitor of the same size?

In general, running a screen at it's native resolution provides best picture quality, so, as an example, running a 1080p screen at 1080p would look better than a 4k screen at 1080p. Scaling has consistently improved though, so I can't imagine you would notice a huge amount of difference as the aspect ratio of the display would remain the same (16:9).

Which graphics card do you currently have/are you planning to use, as there are very few single graphics card setups capable of running modern games at decent settings at a 4K resolution (I'd only try it with a 980Ti or above if I'm honest).

Last edited:
Running GTX 760 atm, but when I buy the monitor I'm also upgrading my GPU, either 980TI as you said or one of the next gen cards by that time

Wait, a 144hz 4K 24" monitor? Where? :tongue:

I had a 28" 4K monitor for a while -- running at 1080p was fine since it's an exact ratio for scaling. No fuzziness.

Back
Top Bottom