Router Traffic Monitor... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Router Traffic Monitor...

Hello. I'd like to be able to monitor the traffic going over my home router, is there a way of doing this? I'm not overly experienced in routers but my initial thoughts were that I'd have to either...

(a) get software for my computer that does this,
(b) get firmware for my current router that does this, or
(b) get a new router (with the firmware) that does this.

Is what I want to do possible / are any of my options possible? I've used Wireshark in the past so I'm quite happy to receive pcap files as long as there's something that will output them like this.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Router Traffic Monitor...

Network Traffic

Search next time

__________________ Steam Account
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hmm... thanks for the reply (and the welcome).

But the only thing I've got on my router is System Logging and that's not telling me what I want (and it doesn't appear to support SNMP). The type of things I seem to be getting up when I Google are just freeware to monitor my traffic load. I'd like to be able to see what traffic it is, like Wireshark does for your machine (or at least have it summaried).
Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

If I remember right, wireshark can actualy see an entire homes network traffic...

There are programs out there that DO monitor an entire networks traffic, but they need one, of two things.

To be installed on EVERY pc in the house, but, you will only get an idea of what the computers with the software installed are doing.
Or, have a Proxy server set up, then you can monitor your entire network, including when any game system connects to the net.
Closed Thread