Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEFRANCHISE3

Solid State Member
OK i have a westell modem, i use dsl. and i bought a router so i could play xbox live. Everyone once in a while my aol just shuts off and says its been reset by the host or something. I also have mcaffe firewall. LMK if theres anything that can be done

Just so you know, I work for AOL, and I support AOL broadband and home networking with AOL.

The error message that you are recieving is "Your connection was reset by the remote host" correct?

Ok.. First of all.. Who is your local phone company (just so I know)? With AOL as your ISP, what router did you purchase. There are only a specific few that are compatable with the AOL Broadband service (For a complete list go to KW: Home Network and click on resources in the bottom left menu).

The firewall can cause all kinds of issues with AOL. We are actually told by AOL to have members contact their computer manufacturers and have the firewall completely removed from the system (this includes registry entries).

Considering that you have a westell modem, that means that you have had an AOL tech come out to the house, because AOL doesn't send those out in kits. They only install a westell when the signal is poor and they can't get any other modems that we use to sync up. Sooo.. Your getting a poor signal..... Still.

There is a way to check Signal to Noise ration and Rx and Tx rates using the modem monitor (it shows up as a 'W' in your system tray), however, I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head, and I'm on vacation this week.

I would suggest this..

First, check to make sure that you are using a compatable router. If not, AOL won't support it and you may be on your own, or you will need to return that router for a compatable version.

Second, Call tech support (DSL tech: 1-888-418-5320) and tell them the situation. They will most likely file a Broadband Trouble Ticket so your phone company can check the line again. MAKE SURE that if they are filling a broadband ticket that they get the SNR (signal to noise ratio) and Rx (reciece rate) and Tx (transmit rate) to put in the ticket. Without that information it is impossible for the phone company to accurately test and diagnose the issue.

Finally, and this is a PERSONAL opinion, and this goes for absolutely anything, not just AOL. If it takes more than 3 weeks for a resolution, Switch companies. There is no reason that it should take longer than that, and I have seen people spend MONTHS trying to getting an issue like this resolved with no improvement in service. I would say that if you have Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks, Cox or Optima cable, switch to cable. Cable with those companies is much more stable and just as fast (if not faster) than DSL.

Have fun,
Alexander

Ok... well... Dlink routers aren't fully compatable.. That is very likely a big part of the issue..

well my modem came when i signed up for verizon dsl. i just aol cause i have it for free for 6 months, it doesnt reset on earthlink so i may just start using that thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom