Risks of changing the hard disk serial number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

Solid State Member
Hi, everyone. Last night I did something which may be considered rather stupid: I changed my hard disk's serial number (the eight-digit alphanumeric serial, e.g. "A1B2-C3D4", which can be viewed by typing 'vol' at the command prompt) and I did not write down the original serial that was replaced. Moreover, the program which allowed to do this does not have a "restore" option. Too late did I realize that mine was not a particularly smart move...

What I wanted to know is if there are any risks associated with what I just did. I mean software or hardware issues. I already had a problem with my antivirus (Avast). As soon as I rebooted my pc, it said that I did not have a valid license key, which I'm presuming is related to the HD serial number change. I simply solved this by reinstalling Avast and asking for a new home license key on their website, no biggie.
However, I'd like to know if there are other problems that may arise, and if there is any way of getting my old HD serial number back (if you recommend that.)

Thanks a lot in advance.

The biggest risk is that the action you performed is illegal. Another risk, is if you need to RMA the drive, and they check electronically the serial number, if it doesn't match up, they will refuse to repair it or do an RMA.

You should be able to look around on the physical drive it self to find the serial number, once done, restore it to that number.

As Apu would say "This is a puzzlement" there is no reason to change the SN of a HDD and if you tried to RMA it an some one checked it they would honestly say erm sorry nope you interfered with the drive in some way. I can not think of one legitimate or technical reason for such a program to exist in the first place let alone why some one would use it.

EDIT:

Other than for adding the SN to a drive in the first place and I can't see why that would even be available to the public, then again there might be a forensics avoidance technique in there that I am missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom