Right Click Freezing Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
If I right click files on my desktop or in folders my computer will completely freeze up. I'm able to switch between programs in the task pane and view them and can play currently running games with no issue, but I can't change tabs on internet or get shortcut menus or anything. If I right click the desktop items I have to restart the whole computer to get back to normal. If I right click something in a folder I have to end task to close the folder to get back to normal. I'm able to right click the desktop itself and get a shortcut menu with no issues. I can also right click stuff on my task pane with no issues (not sure about items in the start menu). When in a folder my menu bar works with no issues, but when I select a folder or file in the folder and then click the "File" menu, then the computer freezes up (doesn't happen with any other menu bar item).

All of my drivers are up to date (I updated them all)
It's not a virus or malware (I have very good anti-virus/anti-malware and use it a lot)

My guess is a virus or malware file I had changed some setting on my computer (not sure) and I removed the virus or malware file, but the changes it made are still attached to my computer.

I also have a lovely issue with my computer restarting itself (not sure if they are connected in any way)
I have a good amount of heatsink, plenty high enough power supply, nothings overheating (used CPUID HWMonitor) it said I have a Diode 2 that's overheating... my step-uncle said that this program has no way of getting your temperatures and that it's putting out random info or some crap... I recently upgraded my RAM, Power Supply, and Video Card (They are all securely locked in... so it's not a issue with that).

On a side note LOL may as well add this problem too. I don't know if this is a serious issue or anything, but here goes. Every now and then my computer will start to make a humming or buzzing kinda nose. If I tap the top of my computer tower it will stop. Any idea what's causing it or if there's something wrong or going wrong with my tower? (Note: I'm not talking about a grinding noise like it makes when it's trying to perform an action)

Any input on any of these issues?

The buzzing/grinding noise is most likely some dust or lint in your PSU fan. It's pretty common in computers you've had for over 5 years or so if you don't dust out/vacuum the power source unit.

As for the right click issue - does it also freeze when you use the keyboard button that brings up the same menu (looks like a mouse with a menu behind it on most keyboards)?

What kind of antivirus and anti-spyware programs do you have installed on your computer?

The fan was cleaned not too long ago... so I don't know why it would be doing that. It was REALLY dirty and was cleaned thoroughly a few months ago.

The keyboard button works fine, but if I select a file and hit the button I get the same freezing issue.

I have Panda Platinum/Panda Internet Security

My hard drive was completely wiped clean like 4 months ago.

Did you by chance try a different mouse?

LMFAO no... and think about what you just asked me after we just proved that it does the same thing with the keyboard button. LOL

If it was a mouse issue, then it would also be a keyboard issue. So it's definately not a problem with the keyboard or the mouse.

Also I've had this mouse and keyboard for ages (even before this problem first occured).

I don't know much about your antivirus suite, so I'm unsure how secure your computer is. However, it does seem like you got a virus from somewhere with this kind of behavior on your computer. When you wiped your hard drive to reinstall, did you just use dos to format the drive?

Maybe the mouse is shooting a spark through your system. You never know with computers. :p

Nah the mouse is fine.

I don't know much about your antivirus suite, so I'm unsure how secure your computer is. However, it does seem like you got a virus from somewhere with this kind of behavior on your computer. When you wiped your hard drive to reinstall, did you just use dos to format the drive?

My mom did it... and she's pretty knowledgeable with computers. IDK what she did with the reformat. All I know is that she was installing microsoft updates and service pack 3 crashed my hard drive, because she didn't know that HP had compatability issues with service pack 3 and had come out with a patch themselves to fix this compatability issue. My hard drive got wiped on accident and my mom set it up and reinstalled windows xp and updated the computer from hp updates then installed windows updates after. Other then that, I know nothing. The right click and restarting of computer things didn't happen right after that either... Not quite sure how long after they started, but it wasn't right away... so I don't think it had anything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom