Return of LCD monitors with dead/stuck pixels - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Return of LCD monitors with dead/stuck pixels

I've noticed that two major online electronic retailers in the UK and don't actually provide consumers (in their legal writing or product listings) with information regarding their policy on the returns of LCD monitors with dead or stuck pixels, such as whether a monitor with dead/stuck pixels can be returned for replacement or refund, and the pixel tolerance, much the way in the US clearly does.

The following is a hypothetical situation (which I'm sure has been reality for many consumers in the UK). It is mainly in reference to the online retailer

Say I purchased an Acer LCD TFT monitor from or, and upon using it for the first time, I notice that there's one dead pixel on the screen. I immediately think about returning the product to the online retailer for replacement or refund, but what about the manufacturer's pixel policy? One dead pixel is not enough for replacement or refund under the manufacturer's pixel policy, as the online retailer would argue. However, at no point did or state before purchase, the manufacturer's pixel policy, and that an LCD monitor with only one dead pixel is not eligible for replacement or refund.

My argument is the following. Wouldn't or have to refund or replace the monitor at no cost to the consumer, regardless of the manufacturer's pixel policy? My reasoning for this is because the online retailer doesn't specify in their returns policy anything about the handling of monitors with dead/stuck pixels (such as the number of defective pixels which constitutes as a fault), nor do they make clear to the consumer the manufacturer's pixel policy which applies to the product, at time of purchase...

...The consumer would have bought the monitor, not knowing that it could not be returned for refund or replacement if it exhibited dead/stuck pixels. The consumer is not forewarned, and while the monitor comes with written documentation regarding pixel policy, the consumer has to open the packaging in order to read it, and in's returns policy it states:
We cannot refund or exchange an opened item unless it is faulty, or if the item was sent to you through our error.
What is your legal standpoint of this hypothetical situation?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: Return of LCD monitors with dead/stuck pixels

Well, since a dead pixel is counted as it being "faulty"(obviously since they recognize they will replace is X amount is dead) and if they don't list a required amount needed for a return...I'm sure you could argue it and have it replaced. I'm sure they would find some way around it saying that you have to go by the rules of the retailer and manufacturer.

But you're right about the one thing...if they don't warn you till it's too late I do not think that is good enough.

Just my personal opinions though :\ I don't have a law degree so don't give my words any credit lol

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Return of LCD monitors with dead/stuck pixels

If the company will not accept returns due to the customer not being satisfied with the product I would take my business elsewhere. Even if a monitor does not meet the criteria for replacement the customer should have the option to return it for a refund (although a restocking fee may apply).

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread