Retail and OEM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Retail and OEM

I will be buying a new PC soon. Since this will be my first PC I have bought, I was wondering which parts should I get retail and which OEM? The reason I was wondering is because I need to know which parts come with the cables need to hook everything up. Like if I buy a Retail PSU will I need to buy Retail Hard Drives and CD-ROM's?

Old 10-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You can mix and match OEM parts with Retail parts. The only difference between the two is that:

OEM: Parts intended for a use in a pre-built system. Normally these parts don't include everything you would find in the retail package (manual, cables, etc.)

Retail: A part that you would buy at a retail computer store. Comes in full packaging with the complete package.

Some parts are better to buy retail, others are better to buy as OEM (since they are cheaper). Your safest bet is always retail, but if there's a significant price differential, you might want to try OEM.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I know the difference between them. Basically I need to know if a retail PSU and Mobo come with the cables to hook up all the drives?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally posted by uNsaiN
I know the difference between them. Basically I need to know if a retail PSU and Mobo come with the cables to hook up all the drives?
Well wherever you're getting them from should have what's included in the box, but my guess is that a PSU will come with 4-6 molex connectors, and the mobo will probly come with two IDE/SATA cables and a floppy cable. but that's probly all. Again, i'd advise you call the manufacturer or the retail outlet and ask them what's in the box

EMachines T3025:
Creative Extigy, Creative 5300 5.1 Audio, Athlon XP 3000+, nVidia MX GeForce 4, Samsung 48x CD-R/W, Cendyne 4x DVD+R/RW, Deuce 160GB WD Caviars, ATI TV Wonder, Hitatchi SuperScan 811 21\" CRT, Logitech MX700, White/blue neon.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I will be buying them from newegg. I don't think they tell what's in the box.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

those parts which are critical, should be bought retail, like CPU (comes boxed and with fan and having 3 yrs warranty)

Mobo of course you'll fine retail. VGA card as well retail. else you can get everyother thing OEM.
Intel Core2Quad 2.66Ghz 12MB L2-Cache
4096MB DDR Kingston Hyper-X
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah, im with Blind_Arrow, get the CPU, MOBO, and Graphics Card Retail. Everything else, Ram, Optical Drives, Sound Cards ect.... get OEM. You will save money, and they don't come with anything extra even if you do buy them retail. With the optical drives you might get a copy of PowerDvD or Nero but thats it.

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Closed Thread