retail computers, no ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
this is probably a stupid question, but...

why do retail stores that sell computer always have large hard drives (usually 80 gigs and up) but put low memory in their computers? It seems stupid, why have a large hard drive when there's no memory to run programs?

I agree with BASSMASTER, and i'd like to add that it's a marketing thing. It is cheaper for computer manufacturers to add more hard drive space, rather than RAM, and the average user doesn't look at or even know what the RAM is. BUT they do however look at the size of the hard drive. Also, if the standard amount of RAM on a certain model of computer is 128MB, the company can probably charge about $100 to upgrade from 128MB to 256Mb, and the average user wouldn't think anything of it. I've noticed Dell to do this the most.

Actually 512 sticks are cheap, and 200GB+ HD's are a little bit more expensive.

I agree, it is a stupid idea, but a lot of retailers like to market to the home user instead of the multi-app/gamer.

first of all, 80 gig hard drives are TINY now, you can get 300gig ones for cheap now (if you know where to get the good deals)

second, it's all marketing; which sounds better to the average joe who doesn't know anything about computers:

a.) 80 gig hdd, 1 gig of ram
b.) 250gig hdd, 512mb ram

probably the 250gig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom