Replacing slave hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansi

Solid State Member
I am replacing my slave hard drive (20GB about 60% full)) with a 160 GB Western Digital - my master hard drive is 40GB.
What is the best way of moving the data from the old to the new - can I back up this drive on DVDs and then transfer it back to the new drive or is there a better way?
Running Windows XP S2 with P 4 2.4 and 1GB of Ram.
Any help would be appreciate before I try this.
Thanks

Do you have enough room to put three hard drives into your system? If so, just put the third on in, transfer everything and then go in and take the 20 gig out. But let me ask a question? Why are you taking the 20 gig out? Is it bad? If it isn't bad, leave it there.

If you do not have room for a third one then backing up on DVD's or CD's are your best bet for anything you can't afford to lose. Liz

You obviously have a CD-Rom or DVD drive. So if you do not have room for another hard drive, pull out your CD-ROM for a day and use it's IDE cable to transfer everything.

If you don't feel confortable doing that you can use an external enclosure, then just transfer everything via usb or firewire. Its not the fastest way but it'll get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom