Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Well, since im buying a new heatsink, im having troubles removing the hsf(heatsinkfan) from my mobo./ I read the instructions, but they look complicated. To remove it says

90 degrees counter clockwise. But I only have a metal screw driver w/ plastic handel/grip. Also once I have turned it 90 degrees on all four ends, do i just lift up?
__________________

Deadpixel is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 351
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Probably a good idea for you to post some pictures
__________________

__________________
E6300 Core 2 Duo
GA-965P-DS3
2 Gbs OCZ PLatinum 800Mhz
250 Gb Western Digital
OCZ Modsteam 450W
7900GT Gainward
Flux Capacitor....SWEEEET
OatesyX is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatesyX View Post
Probably a good idea for you to post some pictures
off the HSF?

this is what i got from the internet, mine is exactly like it

Deadpixel is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

I wanna do something similar, would it require taking the mobo out?
slashnmash is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Waphlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

You twist those 4 block knobs 90 degrees (forgot which way but you can figure it out). Then you pull up (away from the motherboard) to all 4, then pull the HSF out. You will also need to clean off any thermal compound left over, use something like rubbing alcohol or something with Isopropyl Alcohol (sterilizing pads often have them). Use a lint-free cloth, like a coffee filter, or a sterilizing pad, to clean with.

The knobs keep the plastic white pins from coming undone from the motherboard when they are pushed in, and are secured by a 90 degree lock. What you do is, unlock the knobs (by twisting them), then pull the knobs out, which allows the white pins to come undone.
Waphlez is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
You twist those 4 block knobs 90 degrees (forgot which way but you can figure it out). Then you pull up (away from the motherboard) to all 4, then pull the HSF out. You will also need to clean off any thermal compound left over, use something like rubbing alcohol or something with Isopropyl Alcohol (sterilizing pads often have them). Use a lint-free cloth, like a coffee filter, or a sterilizing pad, to clean with.

The knobs keep the plastic white pins from coming undone from the motherboard when they are pushed in, and are secured by a 90 degree lock. What you do is, unlock the knobs (by twisting them), then pull the knobs out, which allows the white pins to come undone.

so once you have untwist the pins, grab the pins and pull all of them up? this then will allow me to grab the HSF and take it away from the cpu?

also do i need to clean any thermal compoud if their isnt any their?
Deadpixel is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Correct. Flat head screwdriver, turn counterclockwise 90 deg. Put black part up alittle. Wiggle out. There is gonna be some thermal paste. Unlock processor from motherboard and wipe it down till the paste is gone. Do the same with the heatsink. Use soft tissues if a lint-free cloth isn't available.
__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
Correct. Flat head screwdriver, turn counterclockwise 90 deg. Put black part up alittle. Wiggle out. There is gonna be some thermal paste. Unlock processor from motherboard and wipe it down till the paste is gone. Do the same with the heatsink. Use soft tissues if a lint-free cloth isn't available.
take the processor out of the socket? i havnt goten my new one yet, im just preparing.
Deadpixel is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Ok, but that's just the process. Wiping the paste with CPU on the board is a real hassle.
__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
Ok, but that's just the process. Wiping the paste with CPU on the board is a real hassle.
ok, i removed the HSF, and put it in, and it was a pain in the... I couldnt tell half the time if i was trying to put it in too hard or what, but took my 30 minutes from removing to putting it back on :|. Is it just me, or is it hard to put in the cpu cooler? hopefully my AP7, will be easier.

next, when i reinstalled the fan, i also open the socket house where the chip is. I didnt touch it or move it, just wanted to look. When i booted up, I think i got the BIOS POST message, and it said the CPU has changed re enter settings in CMOS. <<I have no clue what that is.

also do i have to wipe down the processor when i get my new heatsink?
__________________

Deadpixel is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Thermal Paste? phucng_10 Overclocking and Modding 10 08-05-2007 03:01 AM
I need help finding my prossesor socket..... optimuscrime791 New Systems | Building and Buying 6 07-13-2007 01:01 AM
socket 939 and AM2 Nick Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 04-28-2007 11:08 AM
$1000 Challenge... OnlyCurious New Systems | Building and Buying 33 04-22-2007 01:34 PM
FS: Socket A Mobo, CPU, RAM combo FghtinIrshNvrDi Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 1 03-27-2007 12:12 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.