Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
Well, since im buying a new heatsink, im having troubles removing the hsf(heatsinkfan) from my mobo./ I read the instructions, but they look complicated. To remove it says

90 degrees counter clockwise. But I only have a metal screw driver w/ plastic handel/grip. Also once I have turned it 90 degrees on all four ends, do i just lift up?

Probably a good idea for you to post some pictures

off the HSF?

this is what i got from the internet, mine is exactly like it

C2D15.jpg

You twist those 4 block knobs 90 degrees (forgot which way but you can figure it out). Then you pull up (away from the motherboard) to all 4, then pull the HSF out. You will also need to clean off any thermal compound left over, use something like rubbing alcohol or something with Isopropyl Alcohol (sterilizing pads often have them). Use a lint-free cloth, like a coffee filter, or a sterilizing pad, to clean with.

The knobs keep the plastic white pins from coming undone from the motherboard when they are pushed in, and are secured by a 90 degree lock. What you do is, unlock the knobs (by twisting them), then pull the knobs out, which allows the white pins to come undone.

You twist those 4 block knobs 90 degrees (forgot which way but you can figure it out). Then you pull up (away from the motherboard) to all 4, then pull the HSF out. You will also need to clean off any thermal compound left over, use something like rubbing alcohol or something with Isopropyl Alcohol (sterilizing pads often have them). Use a lint-free cloth, like a coffee filter, or a sterilizing pad, to clean with.

The knobs keep the plastic white pins from coming undone from the motherboard when they are pushed in, and are secured by a 90 degree lock. What you do is, unlock the knobs (by twisting them), then pull the knobs out, which allows the white pins to come undone.

so once you have untwist the pins, grab the pins and pull all of them up? this then will allow me to grab the HSF and take it away from the cpu?

also do i need to clean any thermal compoud if their isnt any their?

Correct. Flat head screwdriver, turn counterclockwise 90 deg. Put black part up alittle. Wiggle out. There is gonna be some thermal paste. Unlock processor from motherboard and wipe it down till the paste is gone. Do the same with the heatsink. Use soft tissues if a lint-free cloth isn't available.

Correct. Flat head screwdriver, turn counterclockwise 90 deg. Put black part up alittle. Wiggle out. There is gonna be some thermal paste. Unlock processor from motherboard and wipe it down till the paste is gone. Do the same with the heatsink. Use soft tissues if a lint-free cloth isn't available.

take the processor out of the socket? i havnt goten my new one yet, im just preparing.

Ok, but that's just the process. Wiping the paste with CPU on the board is a real hassle.

ok, i removed the HSF, and put it in, and it was a pain in the... I couldnt tell half the time if i was trying to put it in too hard or what, but took my 30 minutes from removing to putting it back on :|. Is it just me, or is it hard to put in the cpu cooler? hopefully my AP7, will be easier.

next, when i reinstalled the fan, i also open the socket house where the chip is. I didnt touch it or move it, just wanted to look. When i booted up, I think i got the BIOS POST message, and it said the CPU has changed re enter settings in CMOS. <<I have no clue what that is.

also do i have to wipe down the processor when i get my new heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom