Reliable External Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hi Everyone!

It's been a while, I haven't been to Tech-Forums in a long while, I guess since I got my Mac I haven't really been having problems or anything, so, it was kind of rendered less useful.

Anywho, I now have something I thought I may as well share, and then ask my question. I bought a Quad-interface WD 500GB MyBook Studio external disk drive to use with my MBP, with FW800, all was good until it broke about a month ago. I think something was dodgy with the power inside the drive, or something, it would spin up, and then the power would 'dip' and it would spin down a bit, then back up, rendering it useless, as any transfers were interrupted.

Credit goes to WD with the ease of use of their replacement system though, and the 5 year warranty was nice, so I sent it off, and the replacement is on it's way back. I figure I'll just sell it, as I don't really want to simply start using a drive that failed me so quickly, (oh, right, about 8 months of casual backup/storage use), and that I will get something more reliable!

---

So, I was wondering what people here generally think is best, getting a branded drive, like a WD, or a LaCie, or buying just the hard drive, and a caddy, thus allowing you to choose a reliable disk precisely, or otherwise!

I mean, in the end it would seem as though all hard drives are going to be reasonably equal in reliability. This lead me on to thinking about the fact that it might have been the WD caddy, with it's constant sleeping without use and stuff, leading to problems with power flow or something, which led me to prefer the idea of buying a hard drive and a caddy and being able to seperate them if something went wrong?

Anyway, thanks for reading and any opinions would be great.

Hope you're well!

Charlie -

Well I have used a lot of WD and lacie drives (i am running 2 WD right now) and have been very successful with both (knocks on wood). I think sometimes you may just get a bad one and it can happen from any company but I would rather have a big name behind my external hard drives.

Okay, thanks very much for your thoughts. I agree that I guess it could have just been a bad one, and that I should just use the replacement maybe? I just feel I'm shooting myself in the foot by going straight back to using an external drive that failed on me so quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom