Reformatting Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khunda

Beta member
My dads computer had an error while repairing the OS so he went to try to reformat and use another XP disk, while reformatting it freezes at 61 - 63% every time. Is there a way that I can get this to finish all the way through?

Are you trying to do a fresh install? Try a quick NTFS format in the format options during the instalation of Windows and see if that works.

The OS is messed up pretty bad, I stuck a windows 98 cd in his comp and went to setup. From there is asked if I wanted to remove the files by reformatting. I have done this many times in my Computer Technologies class but this is the first time ive ever seen is just freeze on a percent. First time on 63, and now on 61.

p.s. Nice Comp :=D

I was really hoping to not hear that lol. I will wait till the morning and reconnect all the IDE's and then let it cool down for a few hours. After that I will see if I can get it to reboot. But other then that to be honest the comp and HD was fine. Just after he used a ad aware program he had a problem and had to reformat he said.

Are you having problems formatting within the windows XP installation GUI???? If you are I would just do a diet coke version of a format in DOS. By booting up from a bootable Diskette and typing in on the prompt, Format C:

Also if that does not work use the CHKDSK command to diagnose your HD to see if there is any problems.

I want to do that but he dont have a floppy disk. I went out and got him all this nice shit and wanted to put one of those in for the safety of it but he said no lol. I will stick one in their tomorrow and give it a try. I am off to sleep to good night to everyone and I will see you all tomorrow.

Have you written zero's to the WHOLE thing? Seagate has a free download that does that in DOS, but you will need to make sure the floppies work. If you get an error when its working on installing in DOS, the floppy that is in (two total required) is probably bad, and or did not copy properly.

I dont think a low level format would help. Low level formats are only used to get rid of boot sector viruses and to completey erase data for security purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom