Reformatting PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Reformatting PC

hey there, I recently did case transfer from my old pc to a new case. And I add new parts to the new case, like motherboard, cpu, video card, DDR2 Ram, etc. And the people that did it for me told me I had to reformat my computer because I have new parts like motherboard etc. When I got my pc back I go home power it and and the computer is loading then I see a black screen saying:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

First I tried Start Windows Normally but it doesnt work it restart and goes back to the black screen, then I tried safe mode and every choices it doesnt go in to windows desktop it reload and start at the black screen again. And I go into the system setup and go to boot and change first boot device to cdrom drive, usually when I format my pc I just put in the windows xp cd, then it would load when I restart or power up my comp and go from there. Now when I restart, I see the cd rom drive load but it doesnt go to the windows xp cd, it still go to the black screen. So now I try to explain my problem clearly and as specific as possible, I hope someone knows and help me out. Thank you very much.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you don't care about the files reload the OS

AMD Newcastle skt 754 3000+
Elitegroup 755-A2 ATX motherboard
120 gig PATA Hard drive
128 mb AGP 8x ATI Radeon 9250
300 watt 12 volt psu
Antec SLK 1600 case
Old 03-06-2005, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

although you shouldnt have to reload, i have swaped many system w/o reloading and havent had any problems although i would recommend it, just less chance for probles thus way
Old 03-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The new motherboard may require you to 'press any key' in order to boot from the CD-ROM, as mine does, and if you do not press a key it boots from the HDD and goes to the same screen again. It does sound like your system went through such a drastic hardware change that you will need to reformat and reinstall windows as I did when I had made hardware changes. If you want to sasve some data just plug it into another PC as a secondary drive. Hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to mckc86

u have to "flash" the motherboard bios
Old 03-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

The new motherboard may require you to 'press any key' in order to boot from the CD-ROM
If the hdd is set in boot sequence first then there will not be a "press any key to boot from CD". You will have to go into your BIOS and set it up to boot from CD first. Also, make sure the Windows (or OS) disc is in the drive

i7 2600K | TRUE 120 w/ Xigmatek XLF-F1253 | Asus Sabertooth P67 | 16 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560Ti | 256 GB Plextor M3 SSD |80 GB Intel X25-M SSD | Corsair Graphite 600T
Coolermaster Purepower 850W | Samsung 25.5" 1920x1200 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Closed Thread