Recording TV on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV has such a low resolution that data shouldn't be slowed by USB 2.0. 480Mb/s is mighty fast, I don't know of any video that streams anywhere near that.

no trust me it is slowed down i have my computer and tv in the same room and i tried using them both at the same time and the tv on the computer was like 2 or 3 seconds behind the tv
but the performance isnt affected in anyway

I dont know where my mind was before. I have have a few open PCI slots... what I DONT have is an AGP slot.

Sorry for that:eek:

You dont need a agp slot for the tv tuner card. All you need is a pci slot. My room mate and I have a tv and my tv tuner on the same cable line spliced, with no delay on either one. I have a pci tv tuner, not usb.

I've been looking at products from ADS-tech, Hauppage and Pinnacle; for TV to PC with video capture, editing and burning.

ADS was recommended as easy and inexpensive hardware ($65)for copying my old vhs video to cd or dvd.

But Hauppage and Pinnacle products added the TV tuner, video capture, editing and burning to cd or dvd.

I read or heard opinion that Pinnacle had more problems than Hauppage, at least with my OS.

Then within Hauppage, I checked the difference between it's WinTV PVR 150 and WinTV PVR 350. The price of the 150 at $69 after rebate, looked appealing. And the box in store said it was compatible with my OS of Windows Me. But more than one person familiar with Hauppage products said the 150 model had been tried and returned to store because it didn't work very well with MS Windows Me. Further, Hauppage's website via Internet at the store, listed the 150 model's system requirements as Windows XP, XP Media Center, or 2000 (NOT Windows Me). So I was planning to get the 350 model ($177). But I wanted to check around on some tv-video-pc forums like this one to be sure I wasn't overlooking something important.

I see the Hauppage 250 model has been discussed here recently.

That item cited at the beginning of this thread (Leadtek PCI TV/FM Tuner Card, REMOTE, Model "WinFast TV2000 XP Deluxe") sounds good, and has a very good price.

Can anyone suggest what the differences might be (other than price) between the Leadtek PCI card with Winfast TV 2000 XP Deluxe, and the Hauppage PVR 350, using my PC?

AND_YOU_ARE said:
Both of these sites have that card in stock

http://www.topmicrousa.com/32500230.html

http://store.yahoo.com/hoct12/lewitvxpde.html

I would still suggest this card over others.

Through both sites, I ordered the tuner. Both sites claimed that they had it in site. It wasn't until two weeks later did they both email me back that they were out of stock.

Any suggestions on a good TV Tuner to make my own personal Tivo on my PC. I am looking for good recording software to come with the tuner.

Thanks.

I found a good source of information on the message board/forum at HTPC.com, especially their hardware guides threads.

Not only explain, compare, and review the different hardware products, but also list and categorize the corresponding software that works. Some great hardware products come with crappy software apparently.

As a result of my own research online and in stores, plus advice from the htpc.com forum, I finally learned that the two hauppage models I was looking at, would not work well with my system.

So I went to order the remaining 3rd item which should work best for me. However I too, found out that most major discount chains like compUSA were "sold out." One other place offered it for a 25% premium above recommended retail price. Finally I took a chance and ordered it from Amazon.com. But they have a 2-3 week wait until expected shipping time, and 3-4 week wait til expected arrival. So they may be playing off someone else's inventory restock list also. And I kind of wonder if I'll actually get what I ordered, in the expected (slow) time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom