recently did full install in windows xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

lheggie

Baseband Member
Hi, I recently did a full install of windows xp home edition. Upon completion of the installation. I could not connect to the internet via ethernet card. I went to device manager and both the ethernet and modem had bright yellow exclamation icons on them. I did a repair of the installation and still can not connect to the internet.

Any suggestions or advice?

yellow exclamation marks means that drivers arent installed. do u have got the driver's CD? sometimes Windows cannot pick up drivers. (unless until u have drivers' CD)

the internet service provider installed the stupid ethernet card and never gave me the disks. do you know of any way that I can figure out this. I have called internet service provider and they have been absolutely no help so far they have sent me 15 disk none of which have the driver on them.

i just got off the phone with the internet service provider for the 10th time. And they are going to send me yet another disk. They have assured me that this will have the driver on it. They told me that the last 15 would as well. This is getting very frustrating. I am about to just drive into town and pick up a new network card and install it. At least then I would have the right drivers for the right card.

you may have a conflict problem, what does it say when you click on properties in device manager for the problematic components? Since I don't know if it is a device problem but it might be, try going into your BIOS and disabling anything that says "modem" on it, the key is to free up IRQs. Unless your ethernet card is wireless or an off name brand, windows should have the drivers for the NIC when you installed the OS. You should look for a model number on the actual card and try typing that into Google. You might stroll across a website containing the drivers for the particular component. Hope any of that will help.

Physically check your ethernet card. You should have the manufacturer's name on it as well as the protocole number (e.g. mine is a realtek RTL1839).
Next, click on install new hardware, select from list, and select your manufacturer's and RTL protocol. This should do the trick. Once that is done, don't forget to delete the ones that don't work in your device manager.

If you are comfortable opening the case up you can get the serial # off the card and go to drivers.com and get the drivers yourself and install them.If the lan is on board built in you can go to you can search the componey web sit of the maker of the computer and get drivers there if there a good componay.And if you do take the side off dont touch anything inside unless you ground yourself on the frame of computer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom