Rebooting Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek

Beta member
I need some help, I am working on a friends computer that we have rebuilt in the past 2 months and recently it started to do a reboot thing, it would go into windows then lock up and start rebooting. I know that in previous post you guys had mentioned the power supply and the cooling but let me give you the system specs and what I have tried.

Aspire 500w dual fan power supply (2 mos old)
AMD Sempron 2800+ 754 Socket (2 mos old)
756 MB PC 2700 (2 mos old)
60 GB Western Digital Hardrive
CD Burner
DVD Rom
Gigabyte K8NS (2 mos old)

I have tried different hard drives, taken out all the memory sticks and tested them 1 by 1. Also tried hooking the hardrive up to the secondary IDE cable and it still does the same thing. And know I am kinda at a loss, it has plenty of airflow with 1 in the front and 1 in the back, and the cpu fan is fitting fine, so I am just wondering, is it a bad motherboard or processor, both are still under warranty. Gigabyte is ready to take the board back, and they seem to think that it is a bad board, but you know how they are they send them through a week class and put them on the phone.

You could try thinking simpler. Drivers can cause this. Try starting in safe mode which will exclude the running of all but the simplest of drivers. You will lose the use of certain things, but it may just work. Video drivers can be bad for this and sometimes it is worth loading an older driver (assuming your drivers are the latest). You could also try creating a log on startup which will show you the last driver/service to load.
Also you could remove all unecessary cards, drives, usb devices, extra memory modules and run it as a basic system. If it works, switch off (Run down), replace any cards etc ONE BY ONE and restart. You may just find the offending item.

Also, just because a power supply says 500W it doesn't meen it is a stable 500W. Cheaper supplies tend to drop off when loaded, long before more well known makes although you don't seem to have that great a load. The only thing that looks strange in your setup is the 756MB of memory. Is that 3x256 or 1x512 and 1x256 (The latter is NOT good). Either way, drop it down to one DIMM and run it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom