Solid State Member
System Specs:
2 x 2.6 Xeon CPU
2 x 160gb SATA Western Digital Hard Drives - RAID
2 gb pc2700 DDR Ram
Supermicro 1u case/motherboard
Windows 2003 Standard Server

Here's the problem:
The server has been experiencing very inconsistant problems upon reboot. We're receiving the all so popular "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE, OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SLECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY" error, but it's not happening every time the system loads up. This system is new and I can vouche that this is not anything to do with the OS since it's been present for both OS installs (XP + Win2003) since the birth of the server. The server randomly won't restart, then after a few retries it loads without a problem. Usually the problem exists only upon reboot, but last night we noticed that the system was unpingable and had crashed, when we called our datacenter for help they informed us of the current state the system was in with the above error. After reading up on this error I noticed a few people got around it by a normal cntrl-alt-del from the error screen, which works and reboots the server normallly, but we can't do this remotely unfortunately. When I went down to the datacenter to take a look at the machine I noticed the bios lost some of it's settings for raid and couldn't reboot. This was only when a cntrl-alt-del didn't work.

What we've tried so far:
I've tried disabling the PXE in the bios and rearranging the boot device order. Swapping drives only makes things worse. I have updated both the raid and bios drivers to the latest and no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped and can really use some comments on this one. Thanks in advance.

This system is new and I can vouche that this is not anything to do with the OS since it's been present for both OS installs (XP + Win2003) since the birth of the server

Already done.

any other suggestions, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom