Reboot - burnt condenser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwave

Solid State Member
Hi,

Recently, I'm having problem with my computer. It seems to reboot randomly (well, more or less, i'll explain that point later). I've checked my fan and all, all seems fine, but i've noticed that on 4 condenser on the motherboard, there's so kind of wierd thing on it. It looks like battery acid on the top of the condenser. So, now i'm wondering if it could be the problem.

Is burnt condensers can cause reboots or it would simply unable the computer to work at all?

Are the condenser burnt at all or it's another problem (maybe overheating from the cpu).

I've tried PC Wizard 2005 but it seems it doesn't work fine, it shows 201 degree celcius for cpu heat, that would be imposible, the processor would have melt way before that lol.
Bios shows 57 degree (AMD athlon xp, so that much heat is normal).

It could be that the capacitors (condensers) are defective (as you said). I would RMA the board. You could repair it yourself, but you would have to get some new capacitors of the exact same capacitance and solder them in place of the old ones.

If you arent comfortable with soldering, etc then definitely RMA it.

But then why my computer only reboots when I use a lot of CPU time (like when i'm playing games or running lots of programs at the same time) ?

I think you're suffering from a case of capacitor failure. If you have noticed that the capacitors have discoloration on the tops and may-be they seem to be bulging on the tops and sides, the capacitors are bad. The symptoms of crashing, rebooting and freezing accompanied with the discription of the look of the capacitors you gave is a sure thing.

I would suggest that if it's a new motherboard you RMA it, if it's an old motherboard, it's time for a new one. The capacitors can be replaced, but it'll probably be much cheaper to replace the motherboard.

Post your specs of you PC and we can help you find the right MOBO for you.

Thx HAVOC2k5.

It's an old one, so i'll look forward for another one. Is it suggested to buy a used one (i've found a Asus a7n8x for 50 $can).

m3trj said:
Maybe you have a power issue. Your PSU may not be powerful enough.

PSU is ok. It's a new one (about 3-4 months), 350W and I only have a dvd reader, two hard disks, no usb devices (well, I got a printer but it's selfpowered so..) so 350w is way enough.

Besides, my computer crash only when I use too much CPU. For example, i could surf the web for a day without any crash. It's only when using lot of cpu time i got crash issues...

silverwave said:
PSU is ok. It's a new one (about 3-4 months), 350W and I only have a dvd reader, two hard disks, no usb devices (well, I got a printer but it's selfpowered so..) so 350w is way enough.

Besides, my computer crash only when I use too much CPU. For example, i could surf the web for a day without any crash. It's only when using lot of cpu time i got crash issues...

Because the Capacitors are failing your CPU isn't getting it's required "vcore". So crashing & reboots will be your symptoms. Obviously you'll see it more often when your CPU is in higher usage.

What are the spec's of you PC. If it's a name brand PC, "Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, emachines... etc... You might consider buying a new case as well. This way you will have less of a problem fitting a new motherboard in it. List the specs and we can help you.

No, it's a custom made computer pieces to pieces (I'm pretty good in computers so i've got no problem with all that stuff, i'm just poor in electronics so that's why since yerterday,. i didn't even know what were a capacitor hehe).

I've got an Amd Athlon Xp 2000+, 512 DDR 333mhz (2x256), geforce4 ti4200 8x agp. I should be good with asus a7n8x motherboard still I don't know if it's supports agp 8x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom