Realtek Audio Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Realtek Audio Problem

Only place i could see to post this. Moderator, if you think of a better section please change it. Thanks.
The comp i am working on is a Dell Dimension 466i with on board Realtek AC97 audio. Every time i try to install the driver it gets to "start to update system" or something to that effect, then it bluescreens and reboots. I have win xp home, a new install. I tried after the base install of xp from disk, no good. tried after sp2, no good. Tried installing net- framework 2 then installing the driver,same! The driver is a403. No matter what i do , with or without any service packs, or with or with out any win updates it will not install.

The really annoying and weird part is there has been no hardware changes since i have installed xp on the same machine a few times and never had any problems installing anything. I cleared the cmos and reset. I ran PCLinux live cd and it verifies the AC97 sound card and it works fine. So no problems with the hardware , not that that would make any difference to the driver install anyway.
Never had this problem before so if any one has any ideas i would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI Premium
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
Operating System System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Model Processor a
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Closed Thread