Real Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need any audio cables at all unless your using a sound card that isnt integrated into the motherboard. But you will need a total of 2 IDE cables, one that came with the motherboard for your hard drives. And the 2nd you will need to buy at a store or site for the DVD/CD drives. So only one IDE cable is needed to be bought at the store. Dunno why people just have to have these useless cables. I never have problems when not using that audio cable.

persianxballer,

I read your first post. If the DVD burner just came with the drive and CD you WILL need to get one IDE cable, and in that picture if didn't come with a SATA cable which is black and have red stripe tips at both ends you will need to get that also.
Lastly if you didn't get any AUX cables that plugs into the drive itself and then into the motherboard you will need to get that as well.

That should clear up some stuff you were confused about

MadMikeXP

Ok then I think I need audio cables because I'm going to be using a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.
So, now do I need to buy audio cables? If so, which ones?

You only need ONE IDE cable for each optical drive. The 4-pin CD-in cable is UNNECESSARY.

If you have two optical drives (DVD burner and DVD rom), then you ONLY need TWO IDE cables.

It's an incredibly simple idea.

Just get one additional IDE cable since you are using the one from your motherboard with your burner.

Calzinger, then why are people saying "You don't need any audio cables at all unless your using a sound card that isnt integrated into the motherboard."
I thought I need audio cables if I not using onboard audio. I want to be able to play an audio CD in my drives.

This should be simple, but everyone is saying different things.
Calzinger you are probably right but someone like Nubius rain on this issue.

I have no idea why other people are saying other things when the fact is that you don't need a 4-pin CD-in. All it is really doing is adding confusion to an already resolved issue.

Yes, my current board has onboard audio, and I didn't connect a 4-pin CD-in cable. Yet, I can still listen to CDs just fine.

Now this is different in your case since you are using a sound card.

To justify the fact that the CD-in is unnecessary with a sound card, I just threw in an audio CD into my old Dell and listened to music perfectly. I put the CD in both drives: DVD-ROM & CD burner. And to no surprise, there was only one cable coming out of each optical drive: an IDE cable. There were no aux cables connected directly to the soundcard whatsoever. Matter of fact, there were no cables come out of the sound card.

Just get the IDE cable for your extra optical drive. There is no need for this CD-in business.

If you for some strange reason need it later because you can't play CDs, then I'm sure that you can easily order one online for a buck (GENERIC AUDIO 24" 4-pin Connector Cable Model 11A1-12418 - OEM).

I'll even quote of the newegg.com comments on that wire:
Originally said by OmegaZeig in a newegg.com review
This Cable is not required if you are using Windows XP with an 80 pin IDE. If you dont believe me just try taking yours off and see that it work just the same.

To be honest, it seems like things just get more confusing with more replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom