is ReadyBoost really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i have an 8GB Kingston HyperX 30MB/s read, 20MB/s write. It has MUGEN stuff on it but i was just curious as if it was a good idea to use it for ReadyBoost or not to speed up my system. If it's worth it, i might just get another one (4GB) just to speed up my system.

so is it worth investing 4GB into as far as real-time performance?

Move your default paging and documents file onto it would be better imo. Depends on your amount of ram though and whether you use superfetch in vista or a paging file at all. It will eventually kill the usb drive if you do choose to do it as they have finite writes. I used to use a micro sd card to the same effect.

For a device to be compatible and useful it must conform to the following requirements:

* The capacity of the removable media must be at least 256 MB (250 after formatting)
* Devices larger than 4 GB will have only 4 GB used for ReadyBoost
* The device should have an access time of 1 ms or less
* The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device
* The device must have at least 235 MB of free space
* NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32 are supported (Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows 7 also support the new exFAT filesystem)
* The initial release of ReadyBoost supports one device
* The recommended amount of flash memory to use for Windows ReadyBoost acceleration is one to three times the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed in your computer

ReadyBoost shows no benefit when having more than 1G of System RAM. Plus to be able to get any benefit out of ReadyBoost you must use a Flash Drive that is double your current capacity. So if you sig specs are right you would need a 6GB Flash Drive to even be able to properly use REadyBoost. Per the info that slaty posted it wouldnt work cause 4GB is the max.

Yes it does, as flash drives can only take a million or so read/write operations (this number might be higher on newer drives).

It isn't that bad, but if you are using it as a page file, imagine how many times its being read and wrote to in a short ammount of time. It can easily die with in the year... Or it could be one of the random ones that don't wanna die very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom