Re-initializing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sackrat

Beta member
Hello,........new here,............have a vexing problem and hope someone can here can help or refer me to the right forum. I have a Pentium3 1Ghz, Soyo MB, 768Mbs RAM, running Win2000 Pro SP2, the problem is this,.........the machine begins to boot(single beep, no error codes) and gets to the white "Loading Windows 2000" screen and then re-initializes( as if the power had been shut off) but the power stays on and it begins to boot again(single beep,......no error code) until it gets to the same "loading windows" screen and then the same thing happens all over again,.......this will happen maybe 10 or 12 times until the OS loads and I get "Computer was shut down improperly and scandisk will now check for errors" which it does sucessfully(always finding No Problems), then goes on to load the logon window and desktop. the machine will stay on for hours until I shut it down. Is this a power supply problem or a boot sector virus, or something else ? I'm not much of a tech guy, so I don't have the foggiest idea what's going on. Thanks for your attention.

Hmm, yes a power supply or CPU instability would cause this sort of problem.

Get a program like Motherboard Monitor 5 so you can watch your voltages meaning the +12v, +5v, and +3.3v rails.

Generally when the PSU is rebooting like thatit means the +12v Rail, which the CPU relies on is being taxed beyond it's capabilities.

If you get that monitoring program, then download Prime95

you can google both of those names and it'll generally be the first link.

Run Prime95 torture test with the Large In place FFT's and see if the +12v drops down to 11.5 volts or below in which this would indicate a PSU problem right away.

If any of the other voltages are abnormally low this too would cause problems.

Also you could run Memtest86+ so it can test your memory.

That program works when you put it on a floppy or CD and have that first in the boot sequence, so it tests the RAM without ever getting into windows, so you should have no problem being able to test that.

If it errors you'll know your RAM is shot and this is causing you the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom