re cooling down computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotic115

In Runtime
hi I think my computer is running kind of hot and i was just wondering how I should cool down my computer.

I used Everest to find out the temperature and speed of the fan. It says my motherboard is 54 degrees celsius (129 F) and my CPU is 57 (135 F). The fan is also running at 577 RPM. Should I be worried at this point or is this normal?

I once opened up my PC to see where I could put a fan but I don't think there's enough space there. What other ways can I cool my PC?

Here are some pics.

100_1440.jpg

100_1441.jpg

577rpms is tooo low.

Replace the fan like talldude said.

Is that a Sony Vaio?

yeah it is a Sony Vaio. Um I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it's "just a fan". I think it's a power supply (or source)? or something like that. I think it's the box in the top left corner. Does that mean I have to get a completely new power supply/source? I'm not really sure but I remember someone told me that the fan is part of another component.

So all I have to do is just replace the PSU? If so, are there a lot of specific information about which one to buy (like compatibility etc)? Also, what are some good, cheap and quiet PSUs?

It is typical the the psu puts out alot of heat... you only need a new one if it doesnt power you pc anymore!

the bigger problem you are probably facing is a dust build up at critical places of the pc, and improper removal of heat that is being generated inside the case.

if there is an opening (or a grill) in the front of the case, try and install a fan blowing into the case, make sure the fan on the back of the case is blowing out. get some artic silver 5 thermal paste. remove the heatsink fan from the cpu, clean off the old thermal paste w/ alcohol and reapply the AS-5. by doing these few things, u should see about a 10*C+ drop in temps... even more (another 5-10*C) after you clean the whole thing out with compressed air. be sure to take the fan off the heat sink when u'r cleaning. i recommend cleaning out the case outside! dont forget to blowout the psu as well

yeah but that doesn't solve the problem of the fan being so slow right? Since the fan is in the PSU, doesn't that mean I have to get a new PSU with a faster fan?

well, the program could have miss read the fan rpm's. i'm pretty sure those programs just read the voltage/current going to the fan and assume some sort of linear response corrisponding to rpm's. if the fan's actual performance is different than the equation used to calculate rpm's, its just a number.

i'd just pay attention to the temperatures. before shelling out the cash, try dusting

hm is that heat sink fan separate or is it part of the PSU?

where and how do you use the thermal paste? Is it on the CPU or the heatsink or what? (i'm getting confused lol) Do you just smear it on or do you let it dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom