Rare DirectDraw Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
dot
Junior Techie

Default Rare DirectDraw Problem

One week ago i recieved my XFX nvidia 6600 gt. A weeks use did it for me, today when i got home and loaded up halo i recieved this error message:

A problem occurred initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

I have done extensive research using microsofts website and troubleshooting tips however i am still not able to resolve this issue. I have also searched google for this exact problem and others are still puzzled. Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated.

I looked here ( at the bottom of the page there is a list of error messages in RED) and did all of the recomended procedures.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

reinstall the drivers

Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

uninstall the card, and reinstall using the latest drivers

also download DirectX 9.0c as it was built for the Nvidia 6 series
Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
dot
Junior Techie

i have taken out the card, putten it back in, reinstalled the drivers, and installed directX 9.0c
Old 01-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
dot
Junior Techie

i have also done a full system virus/spyware scan
Old 01-06-2005, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Rare DirectDraw Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by dot
One week ago i recieved my XFX nvidia 6600 gt. A weeks use did it for me, today when i got home and loaded up halo i recieved this error message:

A problem occurred initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

I have done extensive research using microsofts website and troubleshooting tips however i am still not able to resolve this issue. I have also searched google for this exact problem and others are still puzzled. Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated.

I looked here ( at the bottom of the page there is a list of error messages in RED) and did all of the recomended procedures.
I had that problem once, on one of my computers, it eventually led to more problems (crashes, random reboots,etc.). after 3 or 4 unsuccessful reformats didn't fix it, I took the nvidia card out of my computer and threw it in the computer junk pile as 1 bad card. A year later I was building me a third computer I happen to get my hand on 2 free 17 inch dell moniters and my money was low. I took it out of the junk pile (with the plan of replacing it when I got paid) I hook it up, to both moniters (it was dual vga) installed windows on the new computer and it hasn't had a problem since. that was 6 months ago. when I test it with dianostic tools, it passes every tests. it is the computer that I use the most now.

Wierd.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Do you think this problem is cased by faulty hardware? It could be a software conflict between programs and drivers (more likely).
Old 01-06-2005, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by waynejkruse10
Do you think this problem is cased by faulty hardware? It could be a software conflict between programs and drivers (more likely).
That what is I had thought Too when I had the problem. I Guess my video card had a hardware conflict with that particular mobo.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

try different version drivers

if I use Nvidia forceware 7.0 on my TNT2, I sometimes get these 2 weird lines across the screen when at 2048x1536, so it could be the particular drivers you're using
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
I use Nvidia forceware 7.0 on my TNT2,
I use Ati drivers 4.10 on my Rage 2c