Raptor 74gb performance - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Raptor 74gb performance

I wanted to get some other peoples take on the 74gb Raptor drive. Mine is kind of loud and it is making me really consider RMA'ing it. Anyone think its loud?

Also, I wanted to compare performance. There are some settings in my bios and I don't know what is optimal for sata drives. Please compare results. Thanks.

Sandra Benchmark

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

I have dual 36gb raptors, that i will have running on raid0. My computer wont be finished for another 2 weeks or so. So i havent personally ran them. Although my buddy has dual 74gb raptors. They load pretty fast, i think. He has a 3.0ghz prescott, with no OC. So its a huge waste. Im going to OC it for him after i finish my computer, and get my OC results.. I think they would run alot fast with a faster cpu to work with them.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Bump

I will be interested to see has those 2 36gb run in RAID. I might add another 74gb in a while and RAID them.

Anyone have any benchs for a single 74gb raptor? I just want to see if mine is on par. I have tried fiddleing with bios settings and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to flawedgeek

I'm running a single 74GB raptor with an AMD Athlon XP 3200 with a gig RAM, and XP pro loaded in about 20 mins. Can't vouch for noise, though. My PSU sounds like an Abrams tank.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Ok...it's showing it working 3mb/sec faster than the 15k hard drive...so based on that don't you think you can conclude it's going pretty fast?

It's beating out the other 10K drives by 20mb/sec and the 15K drive by 3mb/sec which is pretty odd IMO

Probably because of the PC4200
Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

[hijack]
wow codeine that's a pretty friggin sweet rig...
[/hijack]
Old 02-21-2005, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

I run two 36.7 Gb Raptors in my home PC, Raid 1 mirror.

I run a single 74 Gb Raptor in a shuttle workstation at the office.

These drives are fairly quiet, even though they let you know they are spinning at 10K RPM. Even under heavy paging, the drives are almost silent.

The 74Gb Raptor runs a 4.5 ms sekk time, the 36.7 Gb Raptor runs a 5.2 ms seek time. I am not exactly sure why, but that will make a difference in some configuartions.

I have had zero problems with these drives. I would reccomend them to anyone who wants speed and reliability in a system.

As far as I know, there are no BIOS adjustments to be made to make them work any different.

<b><a href=\"http://www.switchphase.net\" target=\"_blank\">Computer and I.T. solutions for small business</a></b><br><b><a href=\"http://www.laptoprepairdirect.com\" target=\"_blank\">Laptop Repair Direct</a></b>
Closed Thread