Random turnoffs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 125
Send a message via Yahoo to C_olin
Default Random turnoffs

System Specs:
Shuttle AN35n Ultra MoBo
AMD AthlonXP 3000+
1 gig dual fed DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 256mb DDR
60 GB HD 7200RPM
425W PSU
Slackware 10.1


The first problem was that, while compiling the CVS version of GAIM, my computer randomly shut off. It happend twice, so I assumed it had to do with overheating. So I popped open my box and cleaned it out. Then took the Fan/Heatsink and removed all dust from it, and reapplied some thermal grease.

I put it back together, and turned it on. It turned on briefly and then shut off, leaving a red light glowing on the mainboard. I tried it again, same thing happend, so I set the cmos pin to clear and turned it on, and it didn't shut off this time. So I turned it off, put the pin back to how it should be, and then booted it up, and the same thing happend. It turned off and left a red light glowing in it.

Any ideas?
__________________

C_olin is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Memberbot
 
Elbatrop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,057
Default

Have a look at my handy guide on random reboots/shutdowns:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=61766

If my tips there dont work, then it might be something else, and you should post back.
__________________

__________________

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Elbatrop1 is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 125
Send a message via Yahoo to C_olin
Default

I read in my mobo manual that the read light does, infact, mean that the cpu has overheated.

the only question is, how to stop it from overheating. I just cleaned the heatsink and reapplied thermal grease. So there is no reason for it to be doing this.
C_olin is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
RicoDirenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,102
Default

Definitely check out your power supply, then run memtest to see if your memory has issues. If they are ok, you might want to strip the mobo down to cpu, mem and video only. If they run okay...start adding stuff until the problem crops up. Otherwise you may need a windows fresh re- install after, of course, saving all your critical data. Low current status of the PSU can cause a whole number of problems..incorrect voltage to your cpu, heatsink etc. Do you have another power supply laying around or another puter for a temporary psu swap...try that too.
__________________
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
RicoDirenzo is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 125
Send a message via Yahoo to C_olin
Default

I think i may have found why it is overheating, how can i clean off the old thermal grease on the cpu? It is hard and caked on, so it is hard to get off, what is a good way of doing this without screwing up the cpu?

Thanks
C_olin is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 125
Send a message via Yahoo to C_olin
Default

The problem was that there was too much old black solid termal grease caked on the spu, and i got most of it off, but some of it is still there.

I got it running now, but still, i would like to removed the rest of it, to avoid further overheating, how can i removed this old termal grease off of the cpu?
C_olin is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,134
Default

use some of the rubbing alcohol stuff.
joshd is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,574
Default

You want 99% isopropyl alcohol. You must replace the thermal compound. Arctic Silver 5 is good.
__________________

__________________


\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'



m3trj is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.