Random turnoffs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to C_olin
Default Random turnoffs

System Specs:
Shuttle AN35n Ultra MoBo
AMD AthlonXP 3000+
1 gig dual fed DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 256mb DDR
60 GB HD 7200RPM
425W PSU
Slackware 10.1

The first problem was that, while compiling the CVS version of GAIM, my computer randomly shut off. It happend twice, so I assumed it had to do with overheating. So I popped open my box and cleaned it out. Then took the Fan/Heatsink and removed all dust from it, and reapplied some thermal grease.

I put it back together, and turned it on. It turned on briefly and then shut off, leaving a red light glowing on the mainboard. I tried it again, same thing happend, so I set the cmos pin to clear and turned it on, and it didn't shut off this time. So I turned it off, put the pin back to how it should be, and then booted it up, and the same thing happend. It turned off and left a red light glowing in it.

Any ideas?

Old 07-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have a look at my handy guide on random reboots/shutdowns:

If my tips there dont work, then it might be something else, and you should post back.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 07-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I read in my mobo manual that the read light does, infact, mean that the cpu has overheated.

the only question is, how to stop it from overheating. I just cleaned the heatsink and reapplied thermal grease. So there is no reason for it to be doing this.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Definitely check out your power supply, then run memtest to see if your memory has issues. If they are ok, you might want to strip the mobo down to cpu, mem and video only. If they run okay...start adding stuff until the problem crops up. Otherwise you may need a windows fresh re- install after, of course, saving all your critical data. Low current status of the PSU can cause a whole number of problems..incorrect voltage to your cpu, heatsink etc. Do you have another power supply laying around or another puter for a temporary psu swap...try that too.
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I think i may have found why it is overheating, how can i clean off the old thermal grease on the cpu? It is hard and caked on, so it is hard to get off, what is a good way of doing this without screwing up the cpu?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

The problem was that there was too much old black solid termal grease caked on the spu, and i got most of it off, but some of it is still there.

I got it running now, but still, i would like to removed the rest of it, to avoid further overheating, how can i removed this old termal grease off of the cpu?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

use some of the rubbing alcohol stuff.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You want 99% isopropyl alcohol. You must replace the thermal compound. Arctic Silver 5 is good.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Closed Thread