Random Shutdown/ Cannot reload WinXP?SOS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_M.

Solid State Member
Hi, Im stumpt here and Im hoping that you guys can offer some light onto my problem, and the only notebook I have.

I aquired this laptop about a month ago from a family member who was sick of it randomly shuting down and decided to just buy another one. I took her on and continued to use the notebook while it randomly shut down on me. I decided to reload Windows XP on there from scratch and maybee that would fix it. When I begin the process it loads up all of the hardware and drivers and then when it states " loading Windows" (in the blue screen, this is before windows is eaven loaded as an OS on my machine) my notebook shuts down. It shuts down at this exact spot every single time.

I am thinking that since it is "loading Windows" now, it is reaching the upper stages of the ram, and possibly I have bad ram ?

Im not sure if this helps but the battery has always been dead and will not charge. I dont see this as the culprit because of the fact that it shuts down at the exact spot when it begins to load up windows during the set up process.

The A/C adapter seems to be fine because I used that same exact adapter to reload my sisters compaq.

Thank you for your help and advice...

-Tom

Nobody has a clue huh ?

Update: After attempting the isntallation of windows about 6 times I did get it to 45% of formatting the HD, then ofcourse it shutdown again. I tried again a couple times and it never eaven made it to the formatting process and continued to shut down after prompting to hit enter to install windows.

Are you guys thinking its a Ram issue ? Im learning that way myself although I dont want to waist cash buying new ram if that is not the issue.

Thank you for your reply although If didnt want to waste what little money it is to buy a new stick of RAM why would I eaven consider wasting my money at a local repair shop.

Ill post up here when I solve my problem incase anybody else has a similare problem in the future. Im pretty sure my problem is faulty RAM.

Just kinda curious... did you format then load? Or were you going to format when loading on the OS?

format while loading. I ruled out the HD. Im still guessing its the RAM, any other suggestions would be helpful.

could be ram. Was the laptop plugged into a/c or was it running on battery? It def sounds like ram, but dont rule out Power issues.

The notebooks battery is dead, ive tried it with it in and with it out. It is running on the a/c adapter. The A/C Adapter is rated for 19V 3.16A just like the notebook states. Hrmm...

its your ram. same thing happened on my aunts Dell Inspiron. ur ram i believe is either dead or going to die and thats whats causing ur cpu to run at 100%. now i advice, this is only what happened to my aunt so please dont go and buy a 200 dollar ram stick and flame me if it doesn work T_T.

Thanx for the input. Before spending any money I plan on borrowing somebodys RAM ad testing it out in my notebook. If that isnt it I will borrow somebodys HD, if that isnt it, ill borrow somebodys a/c adapter, if that isnt it... well lets hope I dont get that far and it turns out to be the RAM or HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom