Random External Hard Drive Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Random External Hard Drive Problem

Yeah, so three days ago my external hard drive was working fine, and now it's not-so-fine.

When I turn it on, Windows runs autoplay, (scans the hard drive for files) then opens the hard drive in a new window like it is supposed to.

But here's the random part: the files in the folders (all of which are displayed) are either not there, or inaccessable.

So now I can't access any of the data on the drive.

This is not good, because the hard drive isn't even mine. It's on loan from a friend who is away and would be upset to come home and find out that I lost his 250 GB anime collection.

BTW, I run Windows XP Home.

Any Ideas?

Old 07-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You say they are inaccessible - how? Is there an error message displayed or what?

First thing I'd do if it was a USB external hard drive would be to try it in another USB port.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Innaccessible as in the files are not accessable. For example, I can see the file, but when I try to open it, nothing happens.

If it was a USB problem, I wouldn't be able to even use the HD. I tried all 6 ports.

The autoplay cuts out when I turn on the hard drive; it scans the device when it is first activated.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Does the hard drive report correct file sizes for the files, have you noticed anything else abnormal about it apart from the fact that files won't open?

Run a chkdsk on the drive and try Diskeeper to check the MFT isnt corrupt, too small or fragged.

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, as stated in my first post, only about 1/4th of the files even show up, although all of the folders do. The drive is neither corrupt, too small, nor fragged.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

could it be failing?, anyone else have an opinion? isnt disappearing data a symptom of a failing hard drive?, or maybe theres a virus, you didnt start a format of the drive accidentally and cancel it?
40 GB HDD
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
DVD-ROM Drive
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I never once said the hard drive was too small, I stated that the *MFT* maybe too small, corrupted or fragged. I wont bother explaining what the MFT is, because you know all that already right?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i suppose if the files can't be opened this won't work but try copying them onto your hdd or just a couple as a test

edit: if the hdd is gone it may be possible to recover the files. try using it on another comp as well

Closed Thread