Random External Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foltzie563

Beta member
Yeah, so three days ago my external hard drive was working fine, and now it's not-so-fine.

When I turn it on, Windows runs autoplay, (scans the hard drive for files) then opens the hard drive in a new window like it is supposed to.

But here's the random part: the files in the folders (all of which are displayed) are either not there, or inaccessable.

So now I can't access any of the data on the drive.

This is not good, because the hard drive isn't even mine. It's on loan from a friend who is away and would be upset to come home and find out that I lost his 250 GB anime collection.

BTW, I run Windows XP Home.

Any Ideas?

You say they are inaccessible - how? Is there an error message displayed or what?

First thing I'd do if it was a USB external hard drive would be to try it in another USB port.

Innaccessible as in the files are not accessable. For example, I can see the file, but when I try to open it, nothing happens.

If it was a USB problem, I wouldn't be able to even use the HD. I tried all 6 ports.

The autoplay cuts out when I turn on the hard drive; it scans the device when it is first activated.

Does the hard drive report correct file sizes for the files, have you noticed anything else abnormal about it apart from the fact that files won't open?

Run a chkdsk on the drive and try Diskeeper to check the MFT isnt corrupt, too small or fragged.

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

Yes, as stated in my first post, only about 1/4th of the files even show up, although all of the folders do. The drive is neither corrupt, too small, nor fragged.

could it be failing?, anyone else have an opinion? isnt disappearing data a symptom of a failing hard drive?, or maybe theres a virus, you didnt start a format of the drive accidentally and cancel it?

I never once said the hard drive was too small, I stated that the *MFT* maybe too small, corrupted or fragged. I wont bother explaining what the MFT is, because you know all that already right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom