RAM timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost sure the RAM is the cause why I cannot get up to the clock speeds I had on my old mobo. This mobo adds 33MHz to the RAM speed because it's set at DDR333. Maybe if I set it to DDR266 it won't add the additional 33MHz and I can OC higher. I will first try those alternative timings. Even thoug I will probably get blue screens BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO or it won't boot at all. If none of those timings work I will set it to DDR266 and see how high I can get my FSB. I could also buy some betetr brand of RAM, but I don't want to spend money. A new CPU woud also work but it would be cheaper to unlock my multiplier. Im getting one of those conductive pens.

Then do it if you are looking for the worst possible timing. But are you saying that you won't boot into windows with it?

Somtimes the screen stays black. Sometimes it hangs after detecting the graphics card. Sometimes it hangs right before checking the RAM. Sometimes it hangs right after detecting the IDE devices. Sometimes I get a blue screen before XP starts loading (blue bar).
It all depends on my FSB speed and RAM timings, cause if I screw around with it one of the these problems occur. Some settings work, but most settings won't. Especially above FSB 151 everything stops working and I have to clear the CMOS.

Definetely know that feeling. Hate it when it's so touchy.

Do you have any other RAM you can work with right now?

TheMajor said:
CPU-Z shows the current latencies, not the stock ones. I can set the CAS to 3.

ok so the spd page is blank for you? cause that's where it shows my ram stock timings at different speeds.

did you try it with the slowest latencies possible in order to get the fsb up? just stick in the largest numbers you can choose and cranck the fsb up. :)

talking about touchy ram...my 133Mhz CL3 Kingston ram...once the puter was turned on even for a 30 seconds (and heated up), it didn't want to boot up anymore with those settings. had to lower it down to 100 or wait about 15 minutes and try again. that's what it usually did. sometimes it could boot while hot even at quite high settings (142/CL2) and sometimes it just wouldn't boot at 133/CL3 even at the winter time while keeping all the windows and balcony door open...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom