RAM is RAM is RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
I'm not much of a hardware guy, especially when it comes to specifications for processors and RAM, so I need some advice for buying some memory (retail; from Best Buy) for my Dell Dimension 4550.

I already have 512mb that came with the PC, but I'm looking for an additional 64 or 128. I looked around a little bit, but couldn't decide, or tell the difference between the numerous types that were available to choose from.

So, do any of you hardware gurus have a recommendation? Keep it cheap (less than $70)

Thanks in advance.

You are correct, RAM is RAM is RAM, for the most part anyway. Either it's going to be SDRAM or DDR. All you have to do is make sure you have the correct type (SD or DDR) and you are golden.

Do you live in Michigan, by chance? If so I can hook you up a lot cheaper. PM me, and we'll see what I can do even if you're not in MI. (This would be me selling to you).

Texas, he lives in. The 'From' part under his avatar, that serves a purpose.

No, it wont be. Thats something that you have to know. I believe during POST it will tell you, but I'm not sure. If you find some documentation on the mobo, that would tell you. Or you can take off the case panel and check the actual RAM. If it has two notches in the stick, it is SD. If it only has one, it is DDR.

Makes sense, I planned on opening up the case anyway so I can take a look. Since I don't want to order online, is there a particular brand name that can be found in retail that's actually worth it? Or is it all pretty much the same stuff when it comes to the Memory Market?

If you order online, you will save a whole bunch on memory.

In most retail stores, they really only carry PNY memory. It's not bad, but it's not the greatest. I would tell you that it's not worth it, and to check www.zipzoomfly.com or some other site and order it online. Save some money, and a headache.

I would download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com and check to see what speed, etc your current RAM is running at so that you can match it up when you buy some new stuff.

As for brands, etc, get some Corsair or Kingston Value Ram. Getting the expensive stuff doesnt help performance that much, and is really only useful if you are overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom