Ram question????? Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Ram question????? Help

I am trying to pick out ram for my computer and i was looking at various pieces and noticed two things:

1. Non-Ecc or Ecc
2. Buffered or registered

What do these two things mean? What are the differences? Advantages/Disadvantages? I need to know so that i buy the best ram for my computer.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

ok first of all if ur not running a server ecc ram will slow your comp down and costs more. Second of all you need a special mobo to run registered ram normally ones with 64bit capaablity.
If you have a home computer
You need buffered ram(or normal ram) and non ecc who ever directs u other wise is a fool because registered and ecc ram not only cost more they will slow down performance if not used in a sever

Old 12-15-2003, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanx alot for the quick response. I will now go buy my 1GB chip of Non-Ecc ram.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

no problem but their are other things to consider besides those things.
Latency,Timings, ddr or sdram. many things

About latency=CAS Latency is the ratio of the memory's column access time divided by the current system clock. The column access time turns out to be a constant value, so you can see as you in increase the system clock it becomes harder to achieve a lower CAS latency (denominator grows-- numerator stays the same--

From this and the example up above you can conclude that the lower the CAS delay or latency, the better.
And timings well those arn't to important but you need to know if your mobo can support ddr or sdram. they are diverent sizes so make sure you get the right one. And if you get ddr ram make sure you get 2 sticks of 512mb to utolize the dual data interface integrigated on the ram
Old 12-15-2003, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, now i am going to get two 512 chips. PC2100 is what my computer takes. So i think i should be ok.
Closed Thread