ram question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ram question

ok well i have a dell dimension 3000 with 1g of ram, and recently i had to reformat (i think that is wat its called) the computer with windows xp pro cause i messed up a bunch of stuff , well now i think its gottin a little bit slower and it says i'm only usin 241mb of ram out of 1021mb, and i want to kno if thats like normal and if not how do i get it back to utilizing 1021mb?

Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Does it say that you have 1021 installed, but are just using 241 MB, or does it say that you only have 241 MB installed? If the first case, it is normal (XP requirements with background services etc.).. the remaining 780 MB is free ram that can be used by applications.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Or is it you have 241mb free ?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to neb1211 Send a message via Yahoo to neb1211

Under normal circumstances, you will not be using all of the available ram. When you are sitting at your desktop, you should only be using around 200 - 400mb of ram depending on the operating system and background services you have running. The remaining ram that isn't being used, is available for when you open another program.

After you reinstalled windows, did you install all the windows updates? Also do you run any type of spyware/adware application in addition to an antivirus program?
~ Nick
Owner of Maximum CPU and MaxCPU Hosting
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

no its like 700 somethin free, but it might be wat the first guy said, i started extracting some files and i looked at what percent it was using and it said only like 30 and it seemed like it was extracting slow, i just want it to atleast use like 50 percent
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hmm... i didn't install any updates maybe i'll try that, and i have some anti spyware stuff that i run sometimes

Closed Thread