RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
My mobo states it supports: Dual-Channel DDR2 -1200(OC)/1066(OC)/800

What is the 1200/1066/800? Speed right?

When I go to get RAM I am always told I need DDR2 800. So I am just curious can I get DDR2 1200 and would it be to my advantage.

You're right. Those numbers are the MHz that the memory runs at. In order to get 1200 MHz RAM you will have to overclock your memory and CPU. It might not be stable. Basically with those specs you can run anything up to 800 MHz, anything above that will require a overclocking.

I've tried to overclock but I can't get much out of it because I don't really understand everything. I can go in and just move up the cpu to 3.0 with out adjusting anything else and it works. However if I try to move up RAM, volts, etc I can't get it to boot. I tried to get help here many many months ago but I really never was able to get clear cut answers. Wish someone knew my mobo well and could help me try.

The problem is, with the exact same hardware I will have a completely different overclock experience than you would. If you're not confident with overclocking the RAM then stick with 800 MHz. To go from 800 -1200 is going to take a LOT of fine tuning with voltage and timings.

Yeah I'm just going to leave it alone. I plan on upgrading soon to a i7 and such any way.

Edit: so if I go to a i7 and the RAM speed is DDR3 1600/1333

I need to look for 1333 RAM and hope to OC to 1600, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom