Which RAM option is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you are right, all modules that come as PC4000 have chips that were designed to run at PC3200, and the manufacturer has overclocked them

some modules are really good and can be overclocked to even more than that

hmm very good link Apokalipse, i wondered a lot about that myself, for the money it doesnt seem like that big an increase. If you wanna brag up your benchmarks *nvidiafb, cough* then go ahead, but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference for most. if you got the money to spend go ahead, but logistically its not worth it.

and a 2-2-2-5 module will give you about 2% better performance to a 3-3-3-8 module
I don't know about that. If you look at how fast you get with the cas and ras at 2 and the ras precharge at 2 and change them to 3 you'll see a pretty big difference in MB/sec transfer to the RAM. But the whole point of super low latency high performance RAM like the OCZ Platinum series Rev2. sticks are made of high quality chips so they can be OC'd up to 280+MHz so theres DDR550 right there. And since it starts off with a lower latency you can get that nice high MHz and still retain good tight timings.

The Corsair PC4000 sticks I'm seeing are $275 for 3-4-4-8 timings at 2.75 voltage which you could get not only a faster MHz than that with those OCZ I mentioned but with tighter timings and probably the same voltage possibly 2.8 instead of their rated 2.75, but overall the price regarding ultra low PC4000 is comparable to that of ultra low latency high quality and performance PC3200.

So really the PC4000 I don't think is that great for overclocking purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom