RAM needs good processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
I was just wondering........

My computer, with its 1.5 ghz processor, is definetely not the fastest, but it is also not very slow, I just want it to be a little bit quicker, so that it will not stutter as much on games, etc.

So if I upgrade my 512mb RAM to 768mb RAM, would that help the computer run smoother, or does a lot of RAM require a better processor???

Thanks for any help! *thumbs up*

the RAM depends on the motherboard's ability to handle what it has, if you want to upgrade anything, you may want to upgrade the processor to like 2.5-2.8GHZ since the price has dropped really low for them, and you won't spend much, if any more than you would on RAM

apokalipse said:
the RAM depends on the motherboard's ability to handle what it has, if you want to upgrade anything, you may want to upgrade the processor to like 2.5-2.8GHZ since the price has dropped really low for them, and you won't spend much, if any more than you would on RAM

Oh, Ok, I dont have to worry about RAM prices, because I am just going to take a 256mb stick out of one of my older computer (which i no longer use) and put it in my computer with 512mb RAM so it will make it 768.........so since I dont have to worry about prices, I guess I am set for that....

.....but, since my processor is only like 1.6Ghz-1.5Ghz, will this make the computer slower instead of faster??

Thanks for the help btw! *thumbs up*
;)

If the RAM you install is the same speed as the RAM already inside your computer, you will notice a speed increase. If it is not the same RAM speed, all RAM will default to the slowest RAM. Also, all boards have a RAM speed limit. Check and see if your Mother Board is compatible with the RAM you want to install.

Obviously, the more RAM you have the faster your computer runs (up to a certain point). The data access time is much faster in RAM than on your hard drive. It acts like a buffer for your CPU which will load it with data from the HDD for the program running and access it there to make calculations.

This should help. To further increase your gaming fps, you can also do the following: in the ATI control panel, make sure that Vsync is off. Lower the display quality setting. Defragment your drive. get the latest drivers from ATI.com. What games are you playing? What is your Operating system?

EDIT///// Woops, forgot to tell you the OS. It is Windows XP Pro.

Well, it isnt my video card really, it is just the other things in my computer.

My problems mainly come from BF Vietnam and FarCry, which stutter very frequently, making it sometimes very difficult to enjoy, so I believe that it is either the RAM, Processor, or possibly both.

Here is how I am going to do the RAM swap, though. I have 3 computers, the one I am using now has 2x 256mb sticks of ram, so it is 512mb in all. The second one, the one I used before, has one stick of 512mb ram. The other one, which is the oldest, has 2 sticks of 128mb of ram. I plan on taking out one of the 256mb sticks from my new computer, and putting the 512mb of my other computer into my new one so that it will be 768. I will then take one of the 128mb sticks out of the older one, and put both one of the 128mb sticks and the 256mb stick I take out of my new computer for room for the 512mb stick into my other computer, so that it will have 384 megs of ram. That way, the oldest computer will be useless, but I will have one computer with 384mb RAM, and the other with 768MB Ram. The one I used before was actually faster in some sense. It had 512mb ram, and a better processor (P4 2.6GHZ), but sadly, it had no AGP slots on the mobo, so that is why I bought a new PC overall. I wish I could put that P4 into my new computer, but since its 1.5GHZ processor is an AMD Athlon, it sadly wouldnt work. (at least I dont think)

Hopefully putting the RAM up to 768 will help the stuttering, though, and I am hoping that the RAM is not the older type so that it will run fast enough to be acceptable, or faster for that matter.

Thanks for the help, though, guys!

Another thing you can try with Farcry or any other game is this.

Start the game then use Ctl+Tab to return to windows then hit Ctl-Alt-Del. Find farcry process right click and set priortity to higher level.
Your card is not the problem but as with any other games, the 2 big CPU resource users are the Anisotropic filtering and Anti aliasing. Turn these down (or completely off) in the game option menu for better fps. Far Cry is one hell of a resource eater. With my system and at 1280 X1024 I managed to get 40-50 fps but it would sometimes drop to 22-25 mark (but that is with all bells and whistles and AA and anisotropic filtering

you have an Athlon XP 2500+
that's okay to be 1.5GHZ as it will perform just as well as a P4 2.5GHZ
it's not the amount of MHZ that counts, it's what it can do per HZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom