RAM - How much is anough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Bullet

In Runtime
How much RAM is anough?
Ive got 1gig already but i want to get atleast 3gig.
I know you can get way higher on other MOBO's but on mine 3gig is the limit.
So how much RAM is anough?
Once you hit a certain amount of RAM is it worthless to buy more cause it wont make much of a difference?

Pretty much. There's no point in going above 1gb, chances are you never fully tax what you got as it is.

MSI makes a server board, dual opterons that supports 24gb of RAM =P

My uncle says that 2 gig of ram compared to 1 gig does alot for video and copying DVD's (he's a computer guy like me)

But for gaming, 512 and 1024 barely make a difference (in most games, some will take advantage of a gig)

Nah for good gaming you need 1gb no questions about it. 512mb is becoming the bare minimum these days especially with Doom3 and HL2 so all future games will be requiring a minimum of 512mb and minimum requirements generally mean crappy performance.

As far as copying DVD's go, I've done it before a 1gb suits it just fine, if you use a program like Freemem, you can tell exactly how much of your RAM is being used up. So if you have 1gb and you do a DVD copy and it drops it to 100mb then yeah perhaps 2gb would be quite beneficial but I don't believe it would use that much.

Perhaps strenuous vide editing or something

Ive got 256mb of ram an that does me fine, I run Windows XP and I use it mainly to play CS and HL2, which run fine.

i was thinkin a good way to test if u would benefit from more ram would be to turn your paging file off?? if u get "Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small" then more ram would work?? or is a paging file actually a necessity? so maybe 2gb could be useful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom