Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtySixBelow

Daemon Poster
I used the search function to check up on mixing ram and only found articles about mixing ram speeds like pc2100 with pc2700. I was just wondering if it would be a problem mixing brands like my Keningston 512 pc2100 with a crucial 512 pc2100? upon reading the articles which said it was ok to mix speeds i dont think this will be an issue, but i just want to check before i drop 100 dollars.

Although many say that mixing speed and size of RAM bracket is not a problem, I wouldn't advise it.

1. If everything goes smooth, your whole RAM will work to the lowest speed of the 2

2. It is very possible that your Mobo will be confused and will not be able to operate at maximum capacity if you have different speed/size RAM brackets installed.

3. All RAM are not built equal with different latency time etc... which means that your CPU would have to wait for data to be read/written to/from your RAM a different amount of time and this may cause bottle neck or more serious problems.

If possible, ALWAYS use brackets of the same size/speed/brand.

I've never done it myself. Wanted to try a few times though, but I gotta agree with zero and say it's just not worth the hastle it could cause.

Mixing brands is fine and dandy. They might have CAS latency differences, but that doesnt matter (auto CL settings to the higher one, I believe) that much.

Mixing speeds doesn't matter either, as DDR RAM will automatically underclock itself to match the slower stick's clock.

You may take a tiny, tiny performance hit from mixing sticks, but unless youre running a high end workstation it should be inconsequential, especially if you have to pay a lot more money to reconsile that hit in performance.

Why would you want to use 2700 with 2100 and suffer speed decrease since both would work at 2100 (with no errors caused by different speed brackets which NEVER happens) I don't know.

Same with different brand and different latency. If you're lucky you won't notice it for the board should (that's the keyword here) should default to the longest one.

Might as well stick with same size, same speed, same brand if possible. The choice is always yours and no damage can be done to your machine, you might just end up with sub par performance for the equipment you have on board due to conflicts between Mobo and sticks without being any of the wiser for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom