Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fokz

Baseband Member
Hey I'm not too familiar with RAM other then it's purpose. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 and all that? Also what is CAS? is it to do with the voltage or something, because the motherboard I was looking into buying says that it can only handle 2.5 Volt memoroy, would that mean that I could only use PC2700 DDR CAS 2.5?

Voltage is usually the same on all DIMMs so don't worry about that...

CAS, is CAS latency....basicly a speed measurement for the RAM.....These are expressed in 2, 2.5 and 3....2 being fastest and 3 being slowest. CAS 3 is most often found in the cheapo value RAM. You can't really tell the difference between 2 and 2.5 unless your an OCer, so just look for either one of those and that should be good.....

PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 are the speeds of RAM.....They are also called DDR266, DDR333 and DDR400, respectively.....The number after DDR(Double Data Rate) is the speed in mhz(DDR400 runs at 200mhz, but double data rate so 400mhz effectively). The number after PC is the RAM bandwidth, so for PC3200/DDR400 its 3.2gbs;)

Any more questions:)

Then wouldn't PC3200 have the greatest speed? ... and I only see PC3200 with CAS 3...which you are saying is the slowest?
...Which RAM would you say that I should consider buying?

What processor are you looking at getting?

Yes, CL-3 is slower then CL-2.5 but when you look at overall speeds 400MHz is faster then 333MHz. So, the PC3200 is faster overall.

Cas Latency is: the amount of time it takes for the first bit of data to be sent once the read command is issued in a read burst. a CAS of 3 means the number of cycles it takes between the CAS being issued and the first piece of data being sent.

CAS of 3 is only slow leading up to the first burst of data after that it is just as fast as any other memory module rated at CL-2.5.

Voltage is is not an issue since all memory will run at 2.5v.

ook, that makes since. I'm looking at getting a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or 3000+ XP.

Fokz said:
ook, that makes since. I'm looking at getting a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or 3000+ XP.

I believe those are both 333mhz FSBes?? I know the 2800+ is atleast and that would mean to get best performance you should go with DDR333 and if the FSB is 400mhz, go with DDR400;)

...Well that would only make perfect since *slaps self in head*. heh, I'm beginning to learn :p

on the topic...

while we're on the topic of RAM, does anyone know if corsair xms pc3200 ddr400 RAM will work on the new ASUS SK8V board for the new FX processors? and is ECC required?
thanks

Re: on the topic...

ram2390 said:
while we're on the topic of RAM, does anyone know if corsair xms pc3200 ddr400 RAM will work on the new ASUS SK8V board for the new FX processors? and is ECC required?
thanks

If its for an FX series then the RAM must be registered:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom