Ram - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to stone_bono
Default Ram

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a definition of what RAM exactly does. I recently just purchased another 512mb stick, making 1gig of ddr ram. As of yet however I haven't noticed much of a difference. I know that it will allow me to have a trillion programs (well, maybe not that many) open at once, any other benefits? Cheers.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, there aren't exactly any more benefits as of now, but in the future, you will probably be glad that you got that extra 512mb of ram.

Ram doesnt necessarily make the computer run "faster" if you already have enough and add even more, but it helps it to access things quicker without being bogged down by all of that memory flow, so in the future when games start requiring 1 gig of ram (and as crazy as it may sound, that is probably not very far away from happening) you will definetely be doing good in the "ram" department. :P

As of now I just have 512........but i may get more, because games are beginning to take More and More and More ram, so now is probably a good idea to start upgrading.......again......hehe
Closed Thread