RAID recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
# Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.

# Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.

Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.

SATA I - tranfer rate of up to 150MBps
SATA II - transfer rate of up to 300MBps

The "NV RAID" that your MOBO lists is IMO NVIDIA RAID. The RAID drivers and software are probably NVIDIA. Setting up a RAID config with that MOBO is very simple with SATA HDDs.

You need two or more identical HDD's. The you need to ask yourself what your budget is. Then ask yourself why a RAID config would work for you.

RAID 0 - Strictly for faster performance
Inexpensive - (2) Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA with NCQ Hard Drive = $140.00 (160gig)

Economy - (2) Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA with NCQ Hard Drive = $210.00 (320gig)

Fairly Expensive - (2) Seagate 7200.8 250GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive = $322.00 (500gig)

Fairly Expensive - (2) Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive = $364.00 (148gig) "This config is fantasic for gamers"

SATA II aren't mainstream yet. And you'd need a SATA II compatible MOBO.

As for your two 80gig HDD's

I'm telling you get the 80gig SATA Seagate Barracudes 7200rpm with NCQ they are only 70 dollars each. You'll get a 20% performance boost over any other SATA HDD. I've got 2 of these but 250gigs in RAID 0.

My PC is blazing fast.... When it comes to storage.... I have a lot of high quality videos on my HDD's and when I'm editting them or viewing them it's as smooth as silk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom