RAID Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileygladhands

In Runtime
Does having a RAID configuration only work with 2 or more hards drives on seperate SATA ports?

For instance, could you partition a hard drive and then use a RAID configuration on the two partitions?

That doesn't make any sense. What wud u gain by doing this? Let me tell you why. Even if this is possible with a s/w Raid controller, it server no practical purpose.

Raid 0 - improves performance by allowing multiple HDDs to participate in the IO process. When one is working away to find info, the other one can get new requests, etc.

If you have both "hard drives" in one physical hard drive, Raid 0 is pointless as there is only "one" HDD and the improvement of multiple HDDs participating in IO is not present.

Raid 1-whatever - this is used for redundancy. If one disk fails, you can recover data. If you have your "raid HDDs" in one physical drive, where is the redundancy? If the drive fails, the data is lost!!

Smiley, he really wasn't agitated...I can tell.

And seriously, separate SATA ports, and different partions, really no need for it.

smileygladhands said:
*sigh* so many sensitive jerk-offs out there..

Sensitive jerk-offs??. wtf??.. Dude, you are the one that supposedly thought my original post was "too agressive".. Or whatever the hell you thought in your little mind.

And this is the kind of shit u post in response when someone helps you?

Note to self: don't answer any of this idiot's questions again. And when I say idiot, I really am also making a reference to your original question.

Guys, don't turn this into a flame war.

I know what he said. He's wrong, and he's not worth torching things over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom