raid card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafs65

Beta member
hi all im a bit new to all this.i have just added a 120gb wd hardrive fitted to a pci raid controller card.since then programs take ages to load first time after boot up on my main c drive..something seems to be slowing things down.i have tried stopping all programs from loading but it is still very slow after bootup.any ideas would be well recieved.,i have amd 2800 1 gb ddr ram on windows xp .gigabyte motherboard ga-7n400. raid card is ,sil 0680 ultra 133 medley ata raid controller pci slot 7 (pci bus 1 device 9 funtion 0) i have 2 drives on my main pc and this new one on the raid card.if i disable the raid controller in device manager and reboot everything is fine,aol launches very fast.as soon as i enable the raid card driver again and reboot,everything is very slow loading,aol takes ages to load.

thanks,mat

yes ,i have two 80 gb hard drives on my main pc,and one 160gb on the raid card.it works well but slows windows and aol from running first time up.

The whole idea of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is to allow for data redundancy (if one disk dies you dont loose the data). I have never played around with a proper raid controller, but i expect that yours is confused as to why you only have the one disk plugged into it.

Level 1 RAID basically replicates one of your hard drives onto another, so if one dies then you still have the other.

Level 0 RAID (not true RAID - but improves performance) stripes the data across both disks, so half on one, half on the other. But if one disk dies the you loose everything.

I would assume that your raid controller is guessing that one of your disks has died and is trying to recover something... but like i said i heve never played with one so i'd wait for someone elses opinion first.

Either way i would suggest chucking two disks on the controller then you can speed them up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom