Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I'm not familiar with RAID, so I have a few questions about it.

Wich HD's are capable of beeing used in a RAID configuration? (E)IDE or SATA or SCSI?

Are there different RAID conectors for IDE and SATA?

Thanks

well, most newer motherboards have raid controllers for SATA . . .

i havn't heard or IDE raid . . .

SCSIs are MADE FOR RAID!

so, basically, SATA and SCSI . . . though SATA is more affordable . . . especially 2xRaptor drives

yeah, 2 P-ATA IDE HD can be use in RAID configuration, either RAID 0 or RAID 1.

Raid 0 - Uses two or more identical harddrives simultaniously and splits the data between both channels increasing data read and write speeds. However this raid mode is not recommended for important data because if one of your hard drives fail, there is no way to recover the data. This mode combines hard drive space from both drives into one larger virtual drive.

Raid 1: Uses two or more identical harddrives and sends the same data to both harddrives, (basically a live backup drive), doesn't increase writability but I've heard with tweaking it can speed up readability to Raid 0 speeds. If one drive fails your data is safe on your second harddrive. However your disk space is no larger than one of your drives by itself. This is very useful for those big important company documents and such, and a safe haven for those paranoids.

There are several possible raid configurations, I recommended searching google for those.

I've got 2 IDEs in a mirror raid. I've also mirror raided 2 sata drives as well. But for the other types of raid, such as raid 5 and the like, you need scsi drives.

silence782 said:
I've got 2 IDEs in a mirror raid. I've also mirror raided 2 sata drives as well. But for the other types of raid, such as raid 5 and the like, you need scsi drives.

how did you connect them? do you have 2 controller cards, 1 for IDE and 1 for SATA??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom