Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa219

In Runtime
Can someone please explain to me what raid is and how it works? I know it has to do with mirrored data on 2 harddrives but thats it. thanx.

Redundant Arrays of Independant Disks has to major levels that the average user is concernced with. Level 0 (striping) and level 1(mirroring).

Striping is more about speed increases and mirroring is more about data protection. Basically you need to hard drives that are exactly the same plugged into a raid controller. If you have striping enabled, the computer will see the two seperate hard drives as one big hard drive and will write data onto both of them at the same time (half on one half on the other). This makes data access almost double in theory (though in practice it is less than this). The downside to this is that if one harddrive fails, you loss ALL your data.

Mirroring is when the computer writes exactly the same data on both harddrives, giving you a good data back-up. If one harddrive fails, the other one steps in and just keeps going.

Striping is probably the best one to go for, as the cost per megabyte of mirroring is very expensive. However make sure you back up your serious data if u are using striping.

easy to say raid 0 increase HDD speed while raid 1 backup data.
there is raid 0+1 which have both advantages.

tell me this though . . .

i know what raid0 and raid 1 are . . .

is there a difference between raid 0+1 and 1+0?

It just depends what you do first and how you want them set up. say for example that you have a set of 10 disks that you want to set up:
-RAID 0+1:
RAID 0, then RAID 1: Divide the ten disks into two sets of five. Turn each set into a RAID 0 array containing five disks, then mirror the two arrays.
-RAID 1+0:
RAID 1, then RAID 0: Divide the ten disks into five sets of two. Turn each set into a RAID 1 array, then stripe across the five mirrored sets.

However there are no naming standards (which is incredibly stupid) so a company that says RAID 0+1 could mean either. Generally speaking though, the above is true.

actually it would be really fast and yo uwould have guarnteed data safety. But its more for big businesss than anything else. not for us small time users

10 HDDs are expensive however I would love to have an array such as that. 5x in theory yet relyable, N I C E :p

10x 73.4GB Raptors!!!!

but you need a big case for that

or a lot of external enclosures and firewire ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom